DjangoBooks.com

Best Selmac GIG BAG holy grail - fit/protection/etc

bm7b5bm7b5 New Orleans✭✭ Dupont
I'm looking for the best gig bag for these selmacs. I'm about to have a tour up the east coast and want to have a nice gigbag for my Dupont. I have a reunion blues made for a regular acoustic, but my GJ guitar has too much room for moving around in there. Plus it's so big and bulky. I've seen awesome RITTER bags, but can't find anywhere to get one - online and elsewhere. (no email response from company website.) Is there no holy grail gig bag? Like, construction and sleekness of those AJL cases, but with pockets and backpack straps built to fit the unique scale length (670mm) of these GJ guitars?

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    I don't have experience with anything else, but my Reunion Blues fits my Selmer body guitars (15-3/4" lower bout, 4" deep body) perfectly. I love it. More of a soft case than a gig bag. Mine has been in constant daily use for over 4 years now and was used when I got it. In most situations, I think it is better than a hard case as the RB cases are much lighter and there is less inertia when dropped or banged into things. You already have a Reunion Blues case, so I won't go on.

As I bought mine used, I don't know what model it is. Last time I looked it appeared the RB line has changed some, but I'm guessing they still sell one that fits your guitar better than the one you have. If you get one that fits right, it will fit like a glove, not "big and bulky" at all.

The thing I like most about my RB case is the outer canvas fits the foam liner so well. If the guitar fits the liner well, then the whole package has a very secure, light weight feel about it. Nothing loose and sloppy like some gig bags. Just don't try sitting on it.

Regards your tour, any dates in the DC area?

CB
  • bm7b5bm7b5 New Orleans✭✭ Dupont
    Thanks, CB. I'll have another look at the RB line and see if I can find model specs. I'll post what I find.
    R
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    I just went out to the RB site and had a look. I might have spoken too soon. The current line DOES look really bulky. And heavy (6-9 lbs, mine weights 4.75, just weighed it). And expensive. And the model you would probably want, 245-59 is marked "discontinued".

Sorry, should have looked before I shot my eMouth off.

CB
    Yeah, my RB archtop bag is bigger than the hardshell case! . A sleeker bag looks better, and causes less trouble at airports. It's surprising to me how few cases and gig bags are made for GJ guitars. I like the fiberglass backpack cases Michael has on the site, just wish there were more external pockets (or any). Going to keep looking. If I hit gold I'll update.

***AJL case slimness and beauty (plus HUMISTAT hygrometer?), RB quality and protection, and RITTER styled pockets and accessories. You hear me gig bag engineers out there?
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    Well, FWIW,
    Last year, in preparation for Samois, I purchased a Boulder gig bag from Michael on this very site and while it may not be the finest, most dee-luxe case you've probably ever seen,..it worked wonderfully.
    I got it for my Dell Arte Hommage (which, of course, is a bit larger on the lower bout) and it fits a tad snug but certainly nothing to....ahem,...fret over :roll: .
    It's worked so well that upon my return from the Mother Land, I've not put the Hommage in its proper TKL hard case. I continue to gig and travel with the Boulder.
    All in all, not bad for a $50 investment.
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
  • jscook777jscook777 ✭✭✭✭
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I've got a Profile bag for my parlour guitar, which I've used daily for three years in my music therapy work. It's taken a lot of abuse and held up very well, has lots of pockets, shoulder straps, and thick padding, and would not be overly heavy if it weren't for all the crap that I carry in it.

They don't seem to have a Web site, but here's their current dreadnought case, which would probably work for a GJ guitar: http://tinyurl.com/67fyx4p
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Whoa - that profile is killer for the money. Picture makes material look flimsy, but the specs say nice padding 30mm...

I think I'm going to try out this mono case: http://www.monocase.com/store/pc/viewPr ... 05#details

The classical version is super compact, and says the interior bought suggestion is 15"... I'm hoping my 15 3/4" selmac will find this snug with out any problems. Back pack straps tuck away for neat airport travel, looks nice, as thin as you can probably get without loosing decent protection.

I don't know if it's worth $150+ more than this profile bag mentioned http://tinyurl.com/67fyx4p, which has similar accessories, but it seems like the mono is sturdier. and looks better. thnx for the suggestion jscook777
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    bm7b5 wrote:
    Whoa - that profile is killer for the money. Picture makes material look flimsy, but the specs say nice padding 30mm...
    Yeah, I noticed that, too. They've changed it somewhat since I bought mine (at least three years ago), so I can't really say for sure. But 30mm sounds about right, and mine is very good. I left it at work, or I'd measure it.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    So, asked about the mono classical bag and got this reply almost instantly:

"Thanks for contacting us, I believe you are the first to ask about a Dupont with our cases. Those are great instruments! I believe our M80-OM will be too small for the Dupont. Our M80-AD however would be a great fit. The 16" lower bout will actually be quite nice with the 15 3/4" bout of the Dupont and should actually fit snug in there. I hope this answers your question."

Very quick reply. I have the M80-OM on the way. For anyone reading this post in the future considering a new gig bag, I found this youtube video also that compares what I was looking for (Ritter9000) to this MONO M80. Very helpful. (says the ritter started falling apart on him)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azbr4Shial0