DjangoBooks.com

Not quite Gypsy Jazz yet not quite Jazz

redbluesredblues ✭✭
edited May 2011 in Repertoire Posts: 456
I have a few albums that fit this description. Namely Pigalle 44 and Reve Boheme. They are swingless. Would like to test the water with other forum members as to how they feel about the not quite genre in gypsy jazz.

Some albums are fantastic, like Bireli's and the recent Romane and Stochelo's albums. The two I mentioned though are hard to listen to compared to actual jazz leads (nothing against rhythm and bass), give me a well played piano and bass versus accordion/sax and Stimered acoustic guitar. I'll just put on Kenny Burrell if I wanted to hear decent jazz guitar.

The last decent album by a manouche player I can recall playing electric with swing was Rocky Grasset a couple of years back. Any further swinging recommendations very welcome.

redblues

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Not sure if you were explicitly asking for recommendations, but here are some more for ya that I would classify in the "not quite gypsy jazz" category:

Gonzalo Bergara: Simplicated
    Les Doigts De L'Homme: 1910
    Adrien Moignard: All The Way
    Selmer 607 (volumes 1 and 2)
    Ensemble Zaiti: Still Time

Adrian
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    You nailed it man, exactly the style I was looking for and yes recommendations are what i'm after.

Ensemble Zaiti is perfect thanks
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Hi Fellas,
    How about the record by norig- Gadjo.
    Very good- more in a gypsy direction then a jazz direction, but a brilliant record.
    Cheers,
    Ben
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Been doing a bit of listening and Biel Ballester is really in the not quite category. He has some really creative compositions and a unique style, a pleasure to listen to.