DjangoBooks.com

Ball ends or Loop?

This topic has probably been covered, but opinions may have changed. Do you guys prefer ball end or loop end strings? I've only ever tried ball end (Argie 11s). Maybe loop end is the tradition? I notice Michael has many of the guitars that are for sale set up with ball ends. Interesting that SelMac style tailpieces will take both. I'm tempted to go loopy on my next string order (oh the thrill of it). Anyway thought I'd ask for opionions (must be Friday).
Swang on,

Comments

• HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011 Posts: 225
    Loop ends make string changing easier. That said I have no real preference except the following opinions.

First, I prefer Argentine loop ends for a 10 set and D' Addario ball ends for an 11 gauge set. One reason is that the gauges on the wound strings are closer between the argentine 10s and the D'Addario 11s so they don't represent a big adjustment to get used to.

Second is that ball end strings that have the silk wrap are a real pain to thread through the bridge holes. Especially the low E string because its just too thick.

Best
    HCQ
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    I used to be strictly a Ball end guy, but about two years ago I switched to loop end and now I wonder why anyone would ever want to use ball ends on a Gypsy guitar. Not only are they easier to string up, but if you have a dead string you can tighten the winding a lot easier. Plus, loop ends are just plain sexy...and who doesn't like a sexy G-string :mrgreen: .
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    .....I like the 'Argie loop ends in 10 and 11 gauge but don't notice much difference generally, but occasionally when replacing a worn loop end with a ball end from other misc. sets on a couple of my GJ guitars, there is some buzz for an hour or so. Don't understand why but it is noticeable.
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    I'm a ball man myself. An anal ball man.
    Let me explain; When i change argies (don't like galli's) i put the guitar between my feet, hold the tension on the string with one hand (pulling it away from the top) and turn the peg with the other hand. Thus ensuring the closest tightest winding, which reduces the possibility of the string breaking at the tuner and gives better resolution in tuning the string to pitch later on. When i use loop ends I can't do this as the damn loop keeps popping off the tail piece as i execute my fool proof plan.

Summary: Balls, Anal
    Definitely loop end for me.

Just received a bunch of loo-end Argentine 11's from Michael in the mail today (been using Galli 11's cause of the pre-mature breakage I have with the Argentine g and d strings, but I like the feel of the Argentine cause of the round core, and being able to buy bulk single strings takes care of the problem).

There doesn't seem to be any reason to go with ball-end, IMO.
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    For what it's worth, I've installed 3 sets of Daddario's new loop end strings, and EVERY SINGLE HIGH E STRING'S LOOP END SNAPPED AT THE WINDINGS AS I TUNED UP!!! I've had no problem with the Argies' high E on the same guitar. I just emailed Daddario, and am curious to see how they respond.
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Funny enough, I've seen guitars that can only be strung with one or the other type, but not both.
    In any case, every string start its life as a loop end.
    kevorkazito
    - JG
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. Think I'll try loop ends next time. Seems more traditional. I use Argies for the same reason. I also like old strings (my hands don't sweat and I prefer a softer tone), so will be leaving them on a long time (except the G strings which have that weird tendancy to come unravelled from hitting the frets).
    Swang on,
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Is there a brand of gypsy jazz strings that does not have a G that's wounded ?
    - JG
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    The good thing about loop ends is they make easy to adjust the bridge's height WITHOUT removing the strings...