DjangoBooks.com

D-Hole Size Reduction

B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
......I fabricated a Basswood "template" of 1/16 " thick to reduce the area opening of the D-hole on my mid 90's Gitane D-500 to reduce bass "tubby" sound, and with it "taped" in to the underside of the soundboard, it is very effective without losing treble volume and clarity! Anyone have a good idea what SEMI-Permanent glue to use in installing it. There is only a 1/8" depth on the bridge side of D-Hole so I can't use double-sided tape effectively.
......Rocky

Comments

• B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    edited April 2011 Posts: 184
    .....OK - Project Completed. My main goal of reducing the tubby/bass boomy acoustic response has been successfully reduced. There is a little loss of sustain and overall "presence" but now this guitar is much more controllable across the bass to treble range.
    .....This alteration in hole size is a 1/4" overlap (1/2" total size reduction) and looks very good spray painted satin black. A tedious job however making template from cracker box cardboard due to the slanted bracing along the waist of the guitar and cutting around the "depth" of the fretboard extension which extends lower into the sound chamber of the guitar. About five hours total effort and double sided tape is very sticky to work with. Still a satisfying result!
    .....Cheers, Rocky
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Your post title reads like a gay spam email!!

But seriously i'm interested in what you've done. Don't suppose you have photos?

Edit: Of the guitar
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    how about a pic?
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    .....I'll have to figure out how to use this older digital camera (no instructions) given to me, and then learn how to post a pic. It will probably be a couple days!
    .....Rocky
    .....Double sided thin carpet tape loosened in the sun on the beach. I will have to use some "weak" glue to keep this wood in place.
    .....Hope this photo is posted ok.
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    neat work, good idea too, i like it