DjangoBooks.com

New CDs: Musik Deutscher Zigeuner Series

Comments

• WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    Thank you guys for the informative posts and to Michael for having sound clips available.
    From what I heard from the sound clips the music is incredible! Having never heard about the bands before it is refreshing to find buried treasures! I am a bonafide lagrene gypsy project fan so it is great!! to hear the german pompe styles from the Schnuckenack quintets!
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Barengero, please toss in more info if you have it.

Hi Ted,
    great post; thank you!

Now, I ´ll try to follow up this topic a little bit. You already mentioned the "Hot Club da Sinti" with violinist Wedeli Köhler (btw who is a fine guitarist, too). Please let me remind that the first solo guitarist of this ensemble was my good friend and bandmate Danny Weiss, until Tchavolo took his place. Danny then played in the band of his father Häns´che Weiss (the violinist, not the guitarist!). Danny sounds very similar to his cousin Häns´che (the guitarist) if he plays acoustic - unfortunately he always prefers his electric Gibson guitar. And unfortunately he only made one very shitty CD with some non-swinging Gadjos.

You mustn´t mix up the "Hot Club da Sinti" with the "Hot Club the Zigan". That band was founded in 1975 by violinist Schmitto Kling (born 1946). The group was based on the members of the "Reinhardt-Delis-Stey-Quartett". They played with 3 Guitars (Zotti Reinhardt, Lello Delis, Alexander Stey) and drums (Walter "Waldi" Reinhardt). They made one LP. Then Schmitto Kling and guitarist Johnny Herzenberg joined the group and The Hot Club the Zigan was born. They made five records, but the personnel changed several times. For a long period guitarist Meggy Patay was member of this group.

Another band is "La Romanderie". It was founded in 1973. The personnel was Alfred Lora (violin), Wilhelm "Nanu" Krause (Accordeon), Reinhold "Panzeli" Frantz (harp!), Hugo "Schablein" Krause (solo-guitar), Josef "Ballacku" Krause and Wilmor "Gigi" Freiwald (rh-guitars). For a long time Alfred Lora was replaced by his younger brother Reinhold "Kleiner" Lora.

Alfred Lora played also with the Band "Swing Gypsy Rose". That was Joe Bawelino (guitar), Weukeli Rosenberg (rh-guitar) Deszo Racz (bass) and Harold Smith (drums).

Now I want to mention the "Mike Reinhardt Sextett". This band was founded in 1973, too. Mike Reinhardt is the son of Daweli (guitarist in Schnuckenack Reinhardts first band). Daweli and Mike both played solo guitar. In the beginning Wedeli Köhler played the violin. In 1987 they made an obscure record with saxophonist Dick Heckstall-Smith. The record propably would have been better without saxophone… but nevertheless it´s worth having it. A few years members of the former Mike Reinhardt Sextett made some CD´s as "I Gitanos".

I could go on and on, too, but I want to end here. If there are any questions, let me know!

Best,
    Barengero
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Barengero wrote:

Danny sounds very similar to his cousin Häns´che (the guitarist) if he plays acoustic - unfortunately he always prefers his electric Gibson guitar.

Hi Barengero,

I had always heard the Hans'che was not actually a Weiss, but that he adopted that name when he fled East Germany. Is this not true?

Nick
  • stochestoche ParisNew
    Barengero wrote:

I could go on and on, too, but I want to end here. If there are any questions, let me know!

Best,
    Barengero

No, no, please... go on, go on!

stoche
  • SoulShadeSoulShade NW Ohio, USANew
    Ted, Barengero et. al.-
    Thanks for all info! Much appreciated. -s
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Ranging here, looking for this 8-CD collection after re-acquiring Titi Winterstein's wonderful Djinee Tu Kowa Ziro. Anyone know of any place to look for this box set?

While we're here -

I Raisa
    Dja Maro Drom
    Das Häns’che Weiss Quintett

- and Ziroli Winterstein's Love Letters?
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Ted, WOW........thank you, man! No worries at all, very much appreciate everything you've done already!
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Was very excited to find a copy of this 8CD box set on German ebay for a reasonable price. Bought it for myself end of November thinking it would be a Christmas present for me. Said it would arrive ~18-22 December. Seller shipped it on 2 December. It just arrived today.

Apparently, according to Deutche Post:

USA:

At this time, transport capacities to the US are considerably reduced. In light of this, special measures are required in order to maintain mail and parcel service. Please note that since September 15, 2020, we have been shipping some products to the US via ocean freight. This will apply until further notice. As a result, very lengthy transit times of at least 25 to 30 days should be expected. For destinations in the western United States or in remote regions, the transit time may be considerably longer.

I'd say 76 days to go from Germany is a "...very lengthy transit time." I was starting to think it booked passage on the Flying Dutchman! Happy to say it was well package and arrived in nearly new condition.

BucorudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliams
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

I see they are available individually from https://www.kulturkaufhaus.de/de/suchergebnis

Billy, could you give recommendations when you've had a chance to listen to all?

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Looks like they have them all except #7, the Winterstein disc mentioned above. I've listened to some of the Weiss recordings and also the Schnuckenack R. on youtube. That and the overwhelming recommendations I found on the board made me take the leap...especially at a price that was ~8 for the price of 5.

On a side note, its a shame we seem to have lost part of this thread that had some historical aspect to these artists.