DjangoBooks.com

Django's Licks Bible

edited October 2013 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 101

Comments

• gypsyjazzergypsyjazzer Brewood, United KingdomNew
    Hi,

Haven't had chance to play through it as yet, but it looks really interesting, many thanks for posting it.

Stu
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Very nice! Thanks!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wow, somebody has been out in the wood shed.

thanks for sharing!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Merci bien, Lemanouchebien! Comme vous etes gentil!

I've had a chance to play through about the first dozen pages, and so far I've only recognized one lick--- the bottom one on page three is the descending broken-octave lick Django used in the first chorus of "Georgia on my mind"... IIRC, Andreas Oberg might've included this lick in his "Gypsy Fire" book.

Anybody else had a chance to play through more of 'em yet?

Will
    Niagara-On-The-Lake, ON

PS Sheet music for guitar always reminds me of this golden oldie---

Q: How do you get a guitar player to turn down?

A: Put some music in front of him!
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    Hi,

Could someone re-upload this 'Django Chord Bible' ?
    Thank You ver much!

grt,
  • DjuriDjuri New
    gijsdhaene wrote:
    Hi,

Could someone re-upload this 'Django Chord Bible' ?
    Thank You ver much!

grt,

et voila:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/304500 ... Django.pdf
    Thank you Djuri, for the quick response!
    The pdf was even more than I hoped for! :)
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Great stuff, just one thing about the picture on the first page - I think it shows Eugene Vees on rhythm guitar. The guitar looks like Djangos Selmer but it has a 12 fret body join and the fret markers seem to be at 3,5,7, 9 and 12 rather than the expected 3,5,7,10 and 12.

Any thoughts anyone
    always learning
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Great stuff, just one thing about the picture on the first page - I think it shows Eugene Vees on rhythm guitar. The guitar looks like Djangos Selmer but it has a 12 fret body join and the fret markers seem to be at 3,5,7, 9 and 12 rather than the expected 3,5,7,10 and 12.

Any thoughts anyone
    Yes on Vees. As to the guitar, there were a number of "transitional" models produced by Selmer in the 1934-35 period after Maccaferri departed before they settled on the oval hole with 14 fret neck join and narrower neck. Many of them had oval holes and 12 fret neck joins. Francois Charles' Selmer book shows several on pp. 114-119, #447, #403, #348, & #547.

Why the 9th fret marker? Who knows, but there are a number of guitars in the book so configured, e.g., #097 (p. 80), #248 (p. 91), and #511 (p. 137), which has markers at 1,3,5,7,9,12, and 17. All of the concert harp guitars shown also have 9th fret markers.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I'll check "the" book later. I always thought there was only one type of tranisional model with the old Mac fingerboards bein used up. Thats the great thing about these guitars they keep throwing up these little queries, questions and anomalies.

Cheers

Alan
    always learning