Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

lukejazz peterbright nyesss ShantellW8 Beppe

Looking for a used GJ guitar for about $160 (in the US)

2»

Comments

• Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    The short scale Cigano is a very good guitar. It's goofy but I go back and forth between "the" guitars of this genre and a Cigano. A Cigano short scale does not do gypsy like VR, but it does what it does amazingly well. Less focus, more overtones, but lots of volume and dynamic range.

I've bought 6 Ciganos, two were duds, its just the risk you take. They play, but there isn't much high end at all, though thunderous bass. Nevertheless, I found students who want that massive sound and they bought them. At worst they sound like a loud - poor dreadnought. strangely, the good ones had nice stripey Asian rosewood back and sides, and the poor ones both looked something like non-stripey mohagany.

If you've got one for $160, BUY IT.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • fusejazfusejaz Redmond, WANew
    One day while window shopping on Amazon I put a "random" item into my cart to check the price.
    When I went to check the price on the other item and empty the cart.. I saw the Cigano GJ-15 was there(I forgot I had put it there and previously it had been priced around $400), but surprisingly the price had been knocked down to $260 with free shipping!! I am not sure what happened, but I jumped on the deal and less than a week later I had the guitar in my hands. It clearly lives up to it’s reputation of being one of THE best guitars to start with for gypsy jazz novices… and I hadn’t even changed the strings to the recommended Savarez Argentines yet.
    So don't give up hope on finding a bargain when you least expect it! :)

If interested you can read more about my Cigano GJ-15 and my attempts at learning to play and record it here: http://myjazzjourney.tumblr.com/

Eddie
    See what I am up to at: http://myjazzjourney.tumblr.com/