DjangoBooks.com

Western swing time-The Quebe sisters on Marty Stuart show

rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
edited February 2011 in Welcome Posts: 605
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShIR-639GnY

...great rythm playing, Fats would be proud of this version- Joey McKenzie swings hard
I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell

Comments

Fantastic drive! Harmonies are superb, too.
    Just checked out the Quebe Sisters website and noticed that many of the pics look like they were shot in downtown Fort Worth, Texas. Oh, man, and then I realized that Drew Phelps is the bass player! I used to see him in Deep Ellum playing with Cafe Noir (who were a very diverse gyspy-jazz inspired group) and other ensembles around Dallas. A few summers ago I played a pick-up gig and his son was playing upright.

http://www.drewphelps.com/index.html
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    You have to check them out live and make me insanely jealous :)

We get the Marty Stuart show over here on a cable channel here called 'Rural tv'-usually includes shows about tractors and long horn cattle, but every now and then theres a blast from a group like that. And Marty remains numero uno tele meister.
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Wow, five very talented people. I was equally impressed with guitarist and the bass player, who seems to have a country-swing version of Jack Casady going on. Full marks all around!
  • judsonjudson New
    I really dig the Quebe Sisters! I spoke with Joey McKenzie a while back and it turns out that his guitar heros are Eldon Shamblin (of course) and Eddie Lang. He's a really nice guy and a wealth of info on swing rhythm. Did you see that gorgeous L-5? He has a few old Gibsons - I think the 12 is his favorite. I've heard that model has thinner wood, especially on the top, but the same neck as the 5. Great tone! I'm still playing a flattop Larivee', which has an amazing tone that many folks mistake for an archtop, but not the volume or the balance necessary for Freddie Green style bass chords - songs great using closed chords though. I'm looking at a The Loar, which is probably the best archtop in my price range, and I've very impressed with the 600. Also, the 600 has a beautiful fleur di lis, which is my family crest!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    rimm wrote:
    You have to check them out live and make me insanely jealous :)

We get the Marty Stuart show over here on a cable channel here called 'Rural tv'-usually includes shows about tractors and long horn cattle, but every now and then theres a blast from a group like that. And Marty remains numero uno tele meister.
    Wow - I am insanely jealous that you get this show. I remember Marty from when he was a 14-year-old mandolin prodigy with Lester Flatt's band. He is an awesome talent, so refreshing to hear someone like him amongst all the slick, manufactured country pop that you hear passed off as country nowadays. Seems like a lot of the best real country artists today got their start in bluegrass - Allison Krause, Ricky Skaggs, VInce Gill come to mind.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • judsonjudson New
    You can now watch RFD-TV on demand on the website, or streaming - this includes the Marty Stuart Show and lots of great programming.... Larry's Country Diner is my favorite show. There is a charge for a membership, but it is well worth it.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Cool - thanks for the info!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • judsonjudson New
    If you watch Larry's Country Diner next season, you might see me! I've been invited to a taping of 4 episodes. I'm really looking forward to seeing Jimmy Capps play in person. As I stated elsewhere, he is probably the most recorded guitarist of all time, both as a Nashville session man as as a member of the Opry House Band. I did an article on him as a journalist. He is a major devotee of Django and Eddie Lang, along with country guys like Eldon Shmblin, Merle Travis, Hank Garland, etc. The man actually earned a physics degree to understand music better!

Judson
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    I saw the guys play here two weeks ago-my God he's a nice bloke. His tune 'Dark bird' gives me goosebumps. And his mandolin playing? Forget about it.