DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (0)

Related Discussions

Today's Birthdays

allenjohnsonmail Pompier mrvood00bass pixytom Humancapo DjangoGadjo DjangoReinhardt DonOgilvie

Comments

• trumbologytrumbology San FranciscoNew
    What years were those Ferret recordings done? (Not that some years aren't worth hearing and others are ;) )

Best,

Neil
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The Sarane stuff is from 1967 and the Matelo is from 1973 (Samois)

'm
  • Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    The Sarane stuff solid, late period Sarane, light and very easy listening. The Matelo stuff is IMO the best Matelo available on CD (next to Manouche Partie). He plays swing tunes, has a nice, bouncy feel without Privat honking away on this box. Definitley a worthy purchase, and something that I'm pleasantly surprised to see available!
  • stochestoche ParisNew
    Hi,
    I'm quite surprised as well to see thi re-edition!
    The Matelo stuff is from 16 of april 1967 too, recorded live from the ORTF studios (french radio). Except for two last tracks picked up in the Samois Festival 1973: "Hungaria" and "Valse manouche inédite" (which actually is "Choti"). Incredible music!

http://www.djangostation.com/article.ph ... rticle=108

Bye,
    stoche
  • trumbologytrumbology San FranciscoNew
    Pardon a simple question, but I've done searched the forums and not turned up an answer:

When did the Samois festival begin? Was it initially sporadic, or has it been annual since it began?

Cheers,

Neil
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    I believe the first festival was 68, then 73, then 78, then annually starting in 83
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    I just looked on the Samois website and they list 1973 as the first year. So maybe 68 was "unofficial"?
  • Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    The distinction is when it became an annual event which occurred in '78 I believe, before that it was a formalized, series of concerts. I've heard radio broadcasts of those earlier mini festivals and they are pretty cool - Vivian Villerstein's group with Maurice Ferret, Philippe Nedjar's group, along with Grappelli's band featuring Nedjar, Babik & Joseph and other stuff as well.

The Django-Necropheliacs who complain that the festival doesn't contain enough Gypsy Jazz would be surprised to know that it is today as it was back in '68 and '73, with an even emphasis on the Manouche Jazz traditions and modern.

Best,

Ted