DjangoBooks.com

rhythm guitar mics

2»

Comments

• marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    I've had decent results with an AKG 535 condenser and an inexpensive tube preamp. It's around $230 new. These are good for live and work well with vocals too. It seems significantly better than the C1000s that you often see at live shows. As far as placement-I have not fussed much but think 10" directly in front of the soundhole works well on oval holes, not sure about D.

Mike
  • gkkellygkkelly New
    i want to record a few pieces, nothing fancy, just a few tracks using a download recording software for PCs. Since the PC mike i have is very low quality i decided to buy a "real" mike (AKG C1000S). The question is; is there an interface that will allow such a mike to be directly connected to say a USB port or the normal mike input on the PC?
  • savage07savage07 BostonNew
    I had a friend in college who swore by DPA 4411s.
  • CorneliusCornelius san franciscoNew
    full disclosure: this is all speculative on my part since i've never recorded a gypsy jazz stylist on a selmer style guitar.

but i do have quite a bit of recording studio studio experience both as a player and engineer. when i do eventually record this style, the first mic i'm going to try is a ribbon. (Eg royer, coles, rca etc) i just have a hunch that a good ribbon mic will kill the condensors. could be wrong.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I've had good results with the Nueman TLM 103.

I attached an mp3 from the Bass and Chords lesson.
  • mdog114mdog114 New
    I've run a small studio since 1989 and the first mics I grab when I'm recording acoustic guitars are small diaphragm condensers. I like Neumann KM84s, AKG 451s and these old discontinued Audio Technica models, I think they're AT 4031.

I usually set them up pointing around the area that the neck meets the body and adjust from there. This is usually for situations where there's more than just a guitar. If it's a solo piece, I may grab a large D mic and use that.