DjangoBooks.com

rhythm guitar mics

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited January 2007 in Recording Posts: 1,752
Hi, all.

My quartet has just started recording a demo, and I'm wondering if anyone has any gypsy jazz specific advice about recording rhythm guitar. Specifically, I'm wondering if anyone's found a particularly good setup for a mic: placement, distance, etc. Our original plan was to go with a one-mic room setup, but the violin proved to be too much, so now each of us has our own (no amps). I don't know offhand what's being used, but we're going back in this Friday, so I can check back with the specs, if that helps.

Thanks,
Jack.

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Sometimes I think that performances are dulled because a band is being recorded and so they get a MIC setup that might work well for recording but the audience has to suffer it. And then you have the audience seeing this and thinking that those mics are DA'BOMB for live performances but in reality they probably aren't. Don't you think therefore that peoples opinions are skewed on this subject??? I would love to see a performance that is really truly setup for live sound and truly catering to the audience. (Just a totally random thought, ignore me)
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    djangology wrote:
    Sometimes I think that performances are dulled because a band is being recorded and so they get a MIC setup that might work well for recording but the audience has to suffer it.

You mean when a live show in front of an audience is being recorded? I guess I'm looking for advice from other musicians and engineers who have spent time in the studio...

Best,
    Jack.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Jack,

I have found there is no difference in setup for recording lead or rhythm. My band was professionally recorded back in May and the guitars all just had really really nice condenser mics in front of them. This is provided that you are recording in a situation where you can raise or lower the levels of each individual recorded track. If you are just going straight to a DAT or something similar, then you'll have to use trial and error to get volume levels right.
    Any particular mics you folks would swear by? And has anyone tried the old-fashioned single room mic approach where everyone sits around it?
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Hey Carter,

my band has tried that - two large diaphragm condenser mics set 90 degrees apart for stereo separation. It takes a while to get the balance, but it gives very good results. It's actually nicer in most ways than having the individual instruments mic'ed, both because you're hearing the sound of instruments in the room and because you're hearing the band's natural blend. In fact, if we didn't have a horn player we would probably mic like that all the time.
    thanks Nick - any particular microphone you would recommend? I like the natural blended sound too!

Carter
  • kidtulsakidtulsa New
    Hey Carter,

I really like my RODE NTK -- tube condenser mic. Great, warm sound for recording. We also use it live for club dates, I've also heard great things from and about RealTubes, which I think are manufactured by AudioTechica.

best,

Pete Krebs
    thanks Pete, much obliged - would that be the mic you/ Django's Tigers used at DFNW in 04? that was a great sound...

Carter
  • kidtulsakidtulsa New
    That was the Rode NTK. Put your soloist(s) a little closer than your rhythm players and D.I. the bass to add a little more low end if needed, and voila! Oh, and get an electric fireplace and some red socks.
    Say hi to Chi for me -- hope you're keeping warm.

Pete
    LOL, forgot about the fireplace, that definitely helped the sound. : )