DjangoBooks.com

Thank you - new guy here

HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 308
Just want to say a big thank you to the mods and everyone involved in this site. I've been lurking for a few months and trying to absorb everything I can. I found Robin Nolan's site when I first kicked off my gypsy jazz education - what a great guy and player. However, I felt a little alone in this new endeavor until I found this site and its wonderful supporting community.

Now a few months in I'm really getting the feel for the music. Post Christmas and with my new Wegen button pick, I'm pretty well setup with literature and just need to get down to business and learn.

I have amassed...

- Robin's Play Along Book #1
- Robin's Guitar Licks Book #1
- Robin's Guitar Licks Book #2
- Jorgenson's Intro DVD
- Wrembel's Mel Bay Intro to Gypsy Jazz Book

Yep - I wasn't "easy" for Christmas this year so I was told - in-turn my wife and family jumped into this new love of mine with full gusto after having heard quite a lot of Gypsy jazz spewing from my radio.

I'm holding off on purchasing an oval or D acoustic for now because I'm just simply in love with my Gretsch 6120 hollowbody. I also want to have a solid repertoire of gypsy music under me and an understanding of what to look for versus price once I begin looking... and be able to play the heck out of the guitars I'm test driving. :wink:

I've been playing for 20 or so years. Have played everything from Prog and Hair Rock back in the 90's to Country and Rockabilly during this past decade. Guitars have been sold off down to my current 3 - aforementioned Gretsch 6120, a homemade telecaster I built last summer, and the first electric guitar I purchased back in 1990, a Charvel ST Custom (sentimental value). My remaining amp is a little class-A 1956 Valco Oahu which has that classic warm 50's tone.

I'm located just outside of Boston and would love to attend any gatherings or jams so sign me up if you know anyone in this area.

Appreciate your hard work in sharing your knowledge and experience here!
Andy