DjangoBooks.com

F-Hole GJ guitars

I'm just wondering what anybody's experience with Gypsy guitars that have f-holes rather than oval or D-holes. Think Eimers Amati or Di Mouro Chorus, also Dell Arte makes (or used to) an F-hole model as well as Bob Holo's awesome version. I play a ton of trad jazz and solo guitar along with my gypsy stuff and I'm looking for a guitar that can work well for everything without being too bright or brittle. My main concerns are maintaining volume for gypsy playing, tone (the darker the better) and feel. I get the idea that they might have the feel of a Selmer style (body/neck) but could just a bad compromise of sounds between an archtop and a GJ guitar. Any experiences worth sharing?

Comments

• seeirwinseeirwin ✭✭✭ AJL J'attendrai | AJL Orchestra
    I don't know about f-holes, but if you are looking for loud and dark, check out Olivier Marin's guitars. Super dark with great tone.
  • SomeDudeSomeDude Brooklyn, NYNew
    I would definitely take one in a heartbeat! I love the traditional Selmer sound but I'm really interested in finding a guitar that leans towards archtop territory even if it's still predominantly a GJ sounding guitar. I'm not sure if it would be good, bad, or just different. Nobody has any experience with this?
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    It may depend a lot on the builder and what they are trying to achieve. Bob Holo's F holes are quite loud, cutting and dry - almost no overtones at all. Per the Eimers Web site, "The sound [of the Amati] can be described as more sophisticated, delicately jazzy, and a bit dryer than the sound produced by an oval sound hole guitar. It has a nice balance. A guitar with acoustic features that lean a little to an arch top sound."
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    I played a US made Dell Arte F hole guitar. It sounded great and with a decent volume.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Saw a stunning sunburst Dell Arte F-hole on e-Bay a few years ago, that had a built in Charlie Christian pick-up. Can't remember if they said this was an original feature from the factory? Looked awesome and imagine it sounded great. Went for a fairly reasonable price. Somebody got a unique piece.
    Swang on,
  • everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭
    i have been on the same quest, and i think i am going to go for one from leo eimers. i am really interested in the holo guitar, but leo seemed very responsive and enthusiastic about making the guitar and answered a lot of the questions i had very fast. it's kind of nerve wracking dropping a lot of money on a guitar sight unseen, but i feel pretty comfortable with him.

has anyone else played eimers guitars?
    also, mike from gaucho plays on a dell'arte swing 42. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3yuT3WAVNs

i played this guitar and it was pretty nice from what i remember..
    i came across this video recently as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBUj1cwurxM

from the eimers booth at samois a few years back
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    I'm no expert on the matter but here is a di Mauro played briefly by Fapy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ToMyeX ... re=related

although there is a rounder sound with the f holes, i would be sceptical as to how much you gain by the f hole design. Certainly more middle ground but i think with limited arch and selmac design, it's still gypsy. Looks great and sounds great though

That entire interview is worth watching, patrus is no Edward Murrow but Fapy is one the most erudite players in the genre, a genuine nice guy
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    everett wrote:
    also, mike from gaucho plays on a dell'arte swing 42. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3yuT3WAVNs

i played this guitar and it was pretty nice from what i remember..

BTW... that is the best version of Moonglow i've ever heard,the girls voice is like a theremin