DjangoBooks.com

Which of these positions is "more gypsy"?

scholziescholzie Rochester, NYNew
edited October 2005 in Technique Posts: 15
I'm transcribing the solo from Jorgenson's amazing version of the Shadows' hit "Man of Mystery" on the album "Franco-American Swing".

I actually started by transcribing the whole main theme and interludes, and the fingering/positions were pretty straightforward. I'm at the solo now, though, and things have become a little more nebulous.

Here are the opening two bars to the solo, played in two different positions. They seem equally as easy (or difficult, really), it's just a matter of tone and figuring out which way is more in-tune (no pun intended) with what the gypsies might play.

jorg_solo.png

Granted, all of those notes can be played pretty much anywhere in the surrounding areas, but these are the two which make the most sense to my untrained fingers.
Gitane DG-255 w/ upgraded DuPont bridge. Hopefully a new tailpiece and some new tuners, soon.

Comments

• scholziescholzie Rochester, NYNew
    Actually, upon further groping, the first feels easier at full tempo (which is about 180 bpm, best I can tell)
    Gitane DG-255 w/ upgraded DuPont bridge. Hopefully a new tailpiece and some new tuners, soon.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    the important thing is to be able to visual the chord shapes that come from the licks/melodies

both those positions look cool, although i personally prefer rthe first one...

my favorite tune on that album is FA swing!
    dennis wrote:
    the important thing is to be able to visual the chord shapes that come from the licks/melodies
    my favorite tune on that album is FA swing!

This is why I like the first one better, too - it has an easier shape to see.

FA Swing is a great tune. For some reason when I shuffle the tracks, FA Swing and FA Swing Alt-Take come up one after another every single time.
    Here's what I've got so far (intro, main theme, and a small chunk of the solo) if anyone's interested. Comments appreciated, but have fun playing it if you want :)

jorgenson-mom.png