Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Related Discussions

Who's Online (2)

• Ben Dallow 6:53PM
  • Lango-Django 6:53PM

Laurent Bajata: Rue de la Pompe

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
edited October 2005 in History
I've had Laurent Bajata's CD Rue de la Pompe in the store for over a year. I finally got around to listening to it...wow! Great playing!! Those of you who like Philipe Nedjar, Reinier Voet (Pigalle 44), Nininie Garcia, Raffalli, and Patrick Saussois...you'll probably dig Bajata's playing as well. He lives in that world between Gypsy jazz and straight ahead/bebop. Very tasty...has a swinging pompe rhythm w/snare drum. Very cool...

I put up samples here: Rue de la Pompe

He's also a really good scat singer!

It's funny, you hear a lot people complaining that Gypsy jazz has become too fast, repetitive, and uncreative. But the truth is that there are so many other guys who have done other stuff with the music. But no one pays any attention to them...what does that say?

Anyway...

Ted...what's the deal with Bajata? Do you have any background on him? I know he played rhythm for Romane a while back.

'm

Comments

• Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    Hi Michael,
    I've had Laurent Bajata's CD Rue de la Pompe in the store for over a year. I finally got around to listening to it...wow! Great playing!! Those of you who like Philipe Nedjar, Reinier Voet (Pigalle 44), Nininie Garcia, Raffalli, and Patrick Saussois...you'll probably dig Bajata's playing as well.

I love Bajata, and have for a long time. My only complaint is that he isn't more active in regards to recordings. For years I've been telling anyone who'll listen to buy this record. I even wrote what I considered one of my best reviews in JJG on this CD back in 2001.
    He lives in that world between Gypsy jazz and straight ahead/bebop. Very tasty...has a swinging pompe rhythm w/snare drum. Very cool...

He is of the generation that influenced guys like Samy D. In fact, this band is interchangable with Minor Swing 4tet or Original Paris Swing (also featuring Galan, but on lead guitar) - same instrumentation, vibe, everything. The rhythm guitarist in this album is Ramon Galan http://www.ramongalan.com/. In fact, he still fills in with that band from time to time.
    I put up samples here: Rue de la Pompe

He's also a really good scat singer!

A great scat singer, player and composer, check out the originals on this album.
    It's funny, you hear a lot people complaining that Gypsy jazz has become too fast, repetitive, and uncreative. But the truth is that there are so many other guys who have done other stuff with the music. But no one pays any attention to them...what does that say?

Well, hopefully this will change, but your right.
    Ted...what's the deal with Bajata? Do you have any background on him? I know he played rhythm for Romane a while back.

He's an old journeyman pro who can play just about anything. Most might remember that Laurent is the rhythm guitarist on Romane's "Swing in Nashville" session. He was the Doudou of the previous generation - playing with everyone. He was a regular at Le Rue Fleurie, the now defunct café run by Serge Camps where Angelo was discovered by Jon Larson. I have crummy video from the late 1980's of Bajata playing on TV with Fäys and Fapy. In fact, Laurent is playing rhythm on a new Fäys CD. He released an LP with the generic title "Hommage à Django" in the early to mid 1980's, and was on several of Romane CD's. I even have video of Romane from circa '96 playing with Bajata and a reed player at La Chope. He used to play every weekend at the Places des Vosges in Paris, but I'm not sure if he's still doing that.

Either way, this CD is a fabulous listen, and never get old, especially if you're dieing for something new.

Thanks for posting this Michael and I strongly urge anyone who likes Ninine or Voet, or Raffalli or Daussat or Saussois to check Bajata out.

Best,

Ted