DjangoBooks.com

Cool Django sweep-picking lick from Swing 42 (1949)

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited August 2010 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 1,855
To my ears, I've nailed this lick accurately, but it goes by so quickly that it's really hard to tell, even when it's slowed down to one-quarter speed!...

Anyway, I think I got it right, but I'm open to suggestions...

Will
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• gypsyfangypsyfan ✭✭
    edited August 2010 Posts: 22
    Hi mate,

I think you've got it wrong, both the position and the notes.

The notes are: c eb I a c e I d in triplets, it starts on the second triplet.
    String D G B E E E
    Fingering 1 2 1 2 2 1 I play it using 1 and 3 finger ;)
    Pick D D D D U D

All the best
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I hear A C Eb A C E D.
    I would play it starting on the 4th string 7th fret then same string 10th fret followed by a sweep finishing with the E and D notes on the 1st string.

BTW I got it wrong on the transcription I posted earlier. I did that about 6 years ago and didn't check it again. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    Anyway the notes I wrote for that phrase have become a favorite device to me over the years! It's so funny that it turns out I had it wrong.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    I just got an email from an old guitar buddy of mine, Don Ogilvie from Vancouver BC, a wonderful player and longtime Django expert.

I'm encouraging Don to join this group, but until he does I'll copy and paste his response. Unsurprisingly, he doesn't agree with me or any of the other posters!

Will

I listened to the original and got this sequence:

B,C,Eb,A,C,E,D and then resolves to the C. The 1st 2 notes are played on the 4th string both with the 2nd finger; the Eb is played on the 3rd string with the 1st finger; the A is played on the 2nd string with the 2nd finger; the C is played on the 1st string with the 1st finger; the E is played with the 2nd finger (shifting position) and the D is played with the 1st finger.

The picking would be DUDDDUD. The chord in the previous bar was a C dim, and the chord in this bar is a G7, so that chord movement is just delayed in his solo.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I agree with Don but I think that B note might be played by the piano not Django. So the lick would be C Eb A C E D just as the first reply said in the position and with the picking written in the previous post.