DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Strings?

Hello.
I just bought my first gypsy guitar today.
It's a simple "Gitane, DG 250".
I was wondering if anyone can help me about the Gypsy guitar strings.
So here's my problem.

I don't know whether if I should buy the loop strings or the ball end strings.

And can someone recommend me some good brands of strings?

I'm a beginner, so I think I would be glad to have something cheap and good.

Thank you!

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I experiment from time to time, but Argentines are the standard. I prefer loop ends, but that's just personal. I cant say it should really matter.

I recommend you start with 10's. Many players use an 11 on the high E. I used not to, but of late I am doing it more and more.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    +1 on the Argentines. Loop end or ball end doesn't matter. Michael told me the loop ends are sexier....
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • kongman91765kongman91765 Buena ParkNew
    Does the Ball end and the Loop end have any difference?
    (Besides sexier ^^)
  • periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
    On a few different occasions, I have had trouble getting the winding on the low E through the hole with ball end sets. Eventually, the tension as you tune it pulls it through but it can be frustrating. I usually go with loop ends to avoid this. Here are some thoughts on other string brands:

D'Addario strings are easy to find but the string tension feels higher to me and they don't seem to play as easy.

The regular Galli's are fine but nothing special. I prefer Argentine's over those. They are supposed to have some special coating to make them last longer but I did not notice a difference.

Galli silk and steel strings are very nice they sound broken in right from the get-go.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I - and several other members of the Hot Club of Glasgow - have switched over to Philippe Bosset strings. They are close to Argies in terms of tone, cost about the same but - crucially - retain their tone and windings for two to three times longer than Argies or Gallis.

They may be hard to find - I get mine from Europe - but I would recommend trying them - I like them so much I bought about 30 packets for future use.

Cheers
    Alan
    always learning
  • kongman91765kongman91765 Buena ParkNew
    Thanks everyone!
    You guys are a real life saver and a time saver!!
    XD