DjangoBooks.com

Need help with song endings

periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
edited June 2010 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 140
Hello,

This topic came up a few weeks ago, but I have a slightly different question. Rhythmically (I'm not talking about turnaround ideas here), what are some interesting ways to end songs. I can't get out of the habit of always doing the standard ending, which I'm sure you all know. It's hard to type, but here's how it works notationally over the last two bars (X = a chord hit)

1--+--2--+--3--+--4--+--1--+--2--+--3--+--4--+--
---X---------X------------X---------X----------------

That is, chord hits on the and of 1, the three, the one, and the and of two in the last two measures.

I know the best way is to just listen to tons of stuff, and I have been doing that, but there's a lifetime of stuff to learn in there and I get distracted by other things to emulate waaay before I get to the end of most Django songs.

I'm not looking for anything too out there and obtrusive, but several sets worth of the same ending is getting a little stale. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
    Anyone?
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Well, I think the rhythm kind of goes hand in hand with "turnaround ideas" and the rest...for instance I sometimes use the opening riff from Place de Broukere as an ending for tunes, but to ONLY do the rhythm half wouldn't be that interesting...

If you know Bireli's intro to Djangology (Gypsy Project disc) that has a nice rhythmic feel you can co-opt. Really though if it's rhythm only that you want you can kind of do almost anything, as long as you land on the right beat...depending on how forgiving your bandmates are.

best,
    Jack.
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    One that I like is the very end of 'ol man river', the da- dada da- dada da -dadda dah-just flip it to the key you are jamming in . Another good trick is to slow down to half speed and play a recent cheesy or pop classic-It may not be pure and manouche but it raises a smile. Dennis Changs Medley of Michael Jacksons stuff was great in Samois last year.OR Try 'love me tender' as in intro then return to it- it works for Birelli.
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell