DjangoBooks.com

"Viper's Dream" as Django phrasing exercise

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited September 2010 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 1,345
Hope other beginner/intermediate players find this a useful exercise.

(More advanced players may be thinking, "WTF?")

Perhaps players lucky enough to live in an environment immersed in GJ :) may take this aspect of the music for granted, because it's just part of the air that they breathe.. but for those of us who are former rock/bluegrass/jazz players, it's a hard thing grip on...

How does Django, even playing a simple 12-bar blues pattern, make his arps and phrases and string bends magically "float"?

As opposed to plodding along tediously like, well, okay, mine. :(

Listening carefully to the attached clips, I'm thinking that Django's use of little rests between phrases is a big key...?

Good luck and enjoy!

Will Wilson
Niagara-On-The-Lake, ON

PS I gotta say, nobody has given me any feedback on any of my previous postings in this vein, and these little sound clips are a fair amount of work to create and upload.... So if anyone actually finds this useful, please say so, otherwise this'll probably be the last time I cast any more of my pearls here before ye.... just sayin'.
I live in a little tourist town called Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario, Canada, which is about twenty miles north of Niagara Falls.

If you are ever planning on visiting the beautiful Niagara area, feel free to PM me and perhaps we can get together and do some jamming.

Comments