DjangoBooks.com

Vamp

PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
edited January 2012 in Repertoire Posts: 764
anyone have a grille for this cool Django tune? thanks much, cheers, Phil

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Strangely, it seems nobody that I have on my CDs has covered that tune. Know anyone other than Django who has recorded it?
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hey Phil,

Just find someone with the Complete Django book by Watremez, it's in there...

best,
    Jack
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Jon,

You can find it on Entre Ciel et Terre (Angelo/Ludovic) as well as Angelo's live Le Que album. A little farther afield, Barney Wilen covered it; look for the Jazz Sur Seine album in the Gitanes Jazz in Paris series...

best,
    Jack
    wim
  • smogfallssmogfalls New
    Have just finished transcribing the lead to this lovely tune, but am struggling to pick out all the chord changes and voicings. I did a search and found this topic, did you make any progress on this?
    Thanks muchly,
    Xan :)
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Eva Sur Seine does a nice job on Vamp and if you look on their web site you can hear their version. Another site links from their page and has the charts for Vamp and several other songs. There is also a transcription from Ben Givan available. I do have it but can't find it on line. I could use a tab if somebody has one.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited November 2014 Posts: 768
    Here's Givan version of Vamp!

Better replace Dbm with a Eb9/Bb, well moreless it works!

Eva's version is just wonderful, Django wrote a great song!
    cavemusic
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Django did write some very beautiful ballads in his later years! For some reason, I had not noticed Vamp before. Maybe because Django plays it so extremely slowly? It was first when I heard it being played just a little bit less slow that I "got it". Another one – a favourite of mine since a long time – is Pour que ma vie demeure (Quelquefois). Astonishingly beautiful! And then there is of course Anouman...
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Fun fact: the one time I had a chance to chat with Angelo Debarre, I asked him what his favorite Django tune was, and he said "Vamp."
    wim
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Hey Spatzo - thanksfor posting that! I've been trying to get the chords for Vamp!
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Adrian - what other interesting tidbits do you have from your conversation with Angelo???