DjangoBooks.com

How to read Guitar sheet music?

HolmesHolmes ✭✭
edited August 2010 in Technique Posts: 39
Hi Guys,

The next step on my musical journey is to learn how to read sheet music notation for guitar. I was curious as to whether anyone knows of any good books, websites, or other teaching materials on the subjects. I don't wanna be stuck in Tabland the rest of my life!

Thanks, Holmes

Comments

• reading sheet music for guitar hmmmm ... classic guitar notes chords and partials? single note?

as there are lots of notes with multiple positions it would help to know what your goal is

if you just want to be able to read mostly solo line stuff i would suggest "a player's guide to chords and harmony" by jim aiken

if you want a fuller ability get a course of instruction on classic guitar ...talk to a local classical teracher .... preferrably one who also plays jazz and get his opinion. i used pascual roch but that was 40 years ago and there is lots easier to use now

my .02
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • HolmesHolmes ✭✭
    Well my goal is to be able to read the music that various people have put out in fake books and other books dealing with Jazz and gypsy jazz. The phrasing used to play melody. Any ideas?
  • start with chords and harmony as above ..... has good clear explanation of notation
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    just jazz guitar magazine has been running an excellent column called "reading for guitar" for the past few months starting from the very basics and progressing with sight reading exercises. they also have features about gypsy jazz regularly.

http://justjazzguitar.com
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Go to the local library and see if you can take a peek at this book:
    Music Reading for Guitar by David Oakes
    or
    Solo Guitar Playing by Frederick M. Noad

The first book is available on amazon for about 15 bucks US. and gives a pretty good tutorial on just that topic. The second book, I've had for years, and is geared more towards classical guitar, but is pretty basic.

Cheers!!
    It will be very hard at the beginning but you will get used to it as need hard work and a lot of practice.
    The music that various people have put out in fake books and other books dealing with Jazz and gypsy jazz. The phrasing used to play melody.

Composite Doors
    Front Doors