DjangoBooks.com

A month with Dell Arte Hommage

bigericbigeric Las Vegas Nevada USANew
I would like to relay my thoughts on my Dell Arte Hommage. Got it a month ago. I have been playing guitar a long time. I am a Heritage endorser for 12 years. I have been playing Gypsy jazz for a little over 2 years. I have played archtop guitars for 35 years. Enough about me.
The Hommage was purchased from **** from Dell Arte. I picked it out from 20 or so guitars he had on hand. This is the Favino sized model. I was drawn to it after seeing the video of one on this website. This a big guitar. Huge neck. Big body. Monster sound. Its chordal sound initially drew me in. I was concerned for a few days if I made a mistake by choosing such a large instrument. I am large cat with very big hands. After settling in and shedding for a week the guitar and I became friends. It took awhile to adjust my technique to such a long scale. The projection is amazing. The guitar can played gently and sound sweet. Or you can hammer it for a ferocious sound. The guitar bounces off the vaulted ceiling of my house. I have played in a trio setting with electric bass and electric archtop, the Hommage was unamplified and it roared. Its a killer.
\

Comments

I can relate to adjusting to the scale. I just got my Dell Arte Dark Eyes a few days ago and it took awhile to get used to it. Glad to hear your liking yours! I can't keep mine in the case and the other guitars are all getting neglected.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I can relate to adjusting to the scale. I just got my Dell Arte Dark Eyes a few days ago and it took awhile to get used to it. Glad to hear your liking yours! I can't keep mine in the case and the other guitars are all getting neglected.
    Same here. The long scale threw me at first, with my smallish hands, and I became convinced that what I needed was a short scale 14 fret guitar. Found one, a lovely Dell'Arte maple D hole. But then I got my hands on a Gallato RS1939, liked the drier sound, and found that, with practice, the long scale began to feel more comfortable. It's just a matter of moving your hand more to compensate for the increased distance. After a while, it becomes natural.

I'm now totally converted to both the long scale AND the 10th fret marker (and that was an even bigger battle). I've been through a number of guitars since then, trying to find the right one, and finally settled on a beautiful Favino-style instrument from the great New York luthier Rodrigo Shopis.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    klaatu wrote:
    Same here. The long scale threw me at first, with my smallish hands, and I became convinced that what I needed was a short scale 14 fret guitar. Found one, a lovely Dell'Arte maple D hole. But then I got my hands on a Gallato RS1939, liked the drier sound, and found that, with practice, the long scale began to feel more comfortable. It's just a matter of moving your hand more to compensate for the increased distance. After a while, it becomes natural.

I'm now totally converted to both the long scale AND the 10th fret marker (and that was an even bigger battle). I've been through a number of guitars since then, trying to find the right one, and finally settled on a beautiful Favino-style instrument from the great New York luthier Rodrigo Shopis.

I started with the longer scale, and I've gotten used to the 10th fret marker. I'd like to try a Favino size instrument one day. Maybe I'll get a chance at Djangofest SF or NW
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com