DjangoBooks.com

comparing chords

tweepletweeple New
edited March 2010 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 2
I'm new to the forum so hello to all,

I'm fairly new to gypsy jazz playing so this may seem like a silly question - I was just looking at Gypsy Rhythm ( which is excellent ) and comparing it to Robin Nolan's Gig Book. In the Gig Book there is a lot more use of the triad forms as opposed to Gypsy Rhythm where the chords are a lot more full on. Is the Gig Book a more simplified approach or a matter of preference.

Thanks

Comments

• I rather think Robin used simpler forms in part for ease of learning. If it's important for you to know you can ask him as he is very approachable. Email me and I will ofrward you his email or go online to his GJ lessons and sign up. As you work through the gig book you will find there are a number of fuller chords and if you listen and watch other GJ players you will find some who like the

In the rhythm work that I do, which admittedly isn't a lot these days as I do the solo guitar work in our duet, I prefer fuller chords. That preference does make for finger fatigue in a quick tune with lots of changes. Fast paced choro style tunes (Tico Tico) and other tunes that either have 2 changes per bar or are sometimes played at breakdown speeds (minor swing) often require simplified chords or even partials for most of us humans :lol: to not stumble
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Generally Django and most Gypsy players will use the bigger voicings except when playing fast passing chords or at very fast tempos.

The Gig book has "reduced" versions of the songs that are designed for easy reading, not authenticity.