DjangoBooks.com

Minor Swing 1939

BonesBones Moderator
edited November 2011 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 3,319
Can anyone weigh in on their take on how to finger that really fast chromatic/diminished lick in Django's third (last) chorus of his solo that starts about half way thru measure 3?

Thanks

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
  • BonesBones Moderator
    My bad I think it is actually the 1937 version.

I don't think there are any open string notes in that passage. It's the chromatic decending from the 1st string third fret down to the 4th string open (there are some open notes in that part) but the part I'm not sure about is what I think is an E7b9 (diminished) lick after that.

Thanks
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    Since Django was working mainly with 2 fingers, he was routinely sliding from fret to fret but you would only have to for the fourth fret using 3 fingers.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    The way I do it is:
    Full descending chromatic from G (1st string 3rd fret) to open D using the open strings every chance then chromatically go from D up to F then diminished: G# B D F G# B B and Descending Am triad: A E C A

That's off the top of my head but I believe it's pretty much what's on the record
  • mandocatmandocat Santa Rosa, CA✭✭✭ AJL XO, Eastman 905CE, PRS SE
    Every transcription I've seen on this is different because there are some notes that are not very clear in this passage. This is how I hear it:

-3-2-1-0----------------------------------------------1-4---7--7--5-------------------------------------
    ----------4-3-2-1-0------------------------------0-3-----------------5----------------------------------
    ----------------------3-2-1-0------------------1-------------------------5-------------------------------
    --------------------------------4-3-2-1-0-0-3------------------------------7----------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    it's exactly as i said! as many open strings as possible!

here's my transcription
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wow guys, thanks for all the replies. I'll try all those suggestions and see if I can come up with some approximation that my old fingers can handle.

Thanks

PS- sorry for the late reply but I was off line all day (damn work gets in the way of my guitar stuff!)
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    dennis wrote:
    it's exactly as i said! as many open strings as possible!

here's my transcription

Superb presentation.
  • Hi Dennis, I am enjoying your DVD set greatly. I hate to be the crab leg in the lacquer but in bar 54 of your wonderful transcription, I think I hear the slide only reaching the A flat or fourth fret. Though it could just be the version I have since other parts are also different from what you've picked up.
    Joel
  • BonesBones Moderator
    PS- Dennis I'm also enjoying all of your dvds (got em all).