DjangoBooks.com

tuner button replacements - recommendations?

greetings. i was wondering if anyone can recommend appropriate tuner button replacements. i have a manouche guitars moreno model (believe it's the same/similar to the modele jazz) and would like to replace the buttons (not the entire tuner mechanism). if any of you have done this, i'm interested in hearing what you used. thanks in advance. g.
*bump*

Comments

• gamagama ✭✭
    *bump*
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    I've never done it myself, so I don't know the details. Others here may have may have more info on a do-it-yourself job. Myself, I'd probably find a good luthier to make the change. However, he's a site for some tuner buttons.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Tune ... 3&xsr=4463

AE
  • gamagama ✭✭
    Thanks for the note AE. I found plenty of stores selling buttons. The problem is the different styles. I figured someone here might have experience doing this and would chime in. Thanks again.
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    I've actually been needing a replacement button myself as one of mine have cracked. It's really not that hard of a job, and I definitely wouldn't hire someone to do it, as it's fairly easy work. Just unscrew the screw that's on top of the tuner button, take it off, put your new button on and screw it back in.

You might try contacting Ranier Miller and seeing where his buttons come from, or you could just by a replacement button from him directly, they should fit any vintage Selmer-like tuners.
  • gamagama ✭✭
    My tuner buttons are not the Gotoh type and do not have screws. I've replaced those type before and you're right, those are pretty easy.
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm...my tuners are not Gotoh either. I have Rainier Miller tuners, which are like the vintage Selmer tuners with enclosed gears. However, mine are still able to be unscrewed, and I didn't realize other brands aren't the same.
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    Yeah, watch out. I don't have much experience with the buttons themselves but few seem to be the bolt on type. I think my VR's tuners are melted on: heat the post, press the button on and presto? But I'm guessing. There certainly no holes clear through most tuner buttons for bolts.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • gamagama ✭✭
    I'm thinking that's what I might have to do. I'll know once it actually breaks/or I break it off.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Jeff Moore wrote:
    Yeah, watch out. I don't have much experience with the buttons themselves but few seem to be the bolt on type. I think my VR's tuners are melted on: heat the post, press the button on and presto? But I'm guessing. There certainly no holes clear through most tuner buttons for bolts.
    Some may just be glued on. I used to have a Manouche Strings Modele Jazz with a couple of loose buttons that kept falling off. My luthier glued them back on. Maybe they were originally melted on, as you say, but the glue did the trick, no problem afterwards. My bandmate has that guitar now.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Grover Imperials

TK-7713-002-2.jpg
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com