DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Beginner - Initial Thoughts

edited February 2010 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 1,231
Hello GJers,

I've been lucky enough to have landed a gig as a rhythm player for a bunch of locals in the NYC area playing GJ type music, as well as swing and pop music that we try to adapt to the style. Currently, I'm using a Martin D15 as my instrument but have become interested enough in the style to buy GJ type guitar.

The gig is weekly and allows me to sit in with players that exceed my abilities as a musician. Our setup on a good day includes a stand-up bass player, a sax player (tenor/soprano, and melodica), a lead guitar player (who also sings), and me. The repertoire includes some GJ standards as well as some material by Thomas Dutronc and Gainsbourg. Because the gig takes place in a restaurant, the singing definitely garners some interest from the patrons.

All of the players, besides me, are current jazz professionals who have done or do this for a living. While I have been playing for more than 20 years, on and off, I have mostly played with rock bands with a minimum of improvisation involved. I have had an interest in jazz and have even taken some jazz guitar lessons in the past, but I've never really gotten far in my studies, as I work a day job and practice time these days is precious. That being said, I have a decent enough understanding of theory and can fool my way through a solo if I am called.

One of the things I found hardest to accomplish from the get go was the pompe. While I'm no expert at it after about 6 months, I still can get through a song in a convincing style, especially in light of the fact that arrangements can change to accommodate a singer. Also, I am challenged by the other players who call on me to take a solo. These are usually after some pretty ridiculous (in a good way) blowing by the other players. I feel like I play catch-up with these guys, but they are very supportive. Have some chops, but really need to learn the language.

So I guess the point of all of this is that I consider myself lucky enough to have a gig where I can learn and try to apply techniques I learn from here and around. It would be advantageous to really study the pompe and get it down correctly. The rest stroke seems to be the key to the style and the power. Teachers are available in the area, by I have limited time and money, so most learning will have to take place in the form of You Tube videos and beyond. IT would be also advantageous to continue to pick out pieces of solos to pick up a bit more of the signature licks for solo playing. Finally, the D15 holds its own, but there's this nagging feeling I have that a GJ type guitar might sound a little better than a dreadnought.

It's become a sickness for me, in the best way, as I am obsessed enough with this to the point that I am willing to quit my rock band to play this music exclusively. I'd be interested in your thoughts, tips, criticisms, and general words of wisdom.

Thanks

JK

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Welcome!
    The great news is that you got in on this style at a time when instructional material and lots of other resources are readily available. Decent gypsy jazz guitars can now be had for cheap and there's a rapidly developing scene for this music worldwide.

Here are some personal suggestions with the sincere intention of helping you get better:

For technique and GJ language your best bet is Gypsy Picking and any and all of Denis Chang's instructional dvd's available at this site's store or at hyperhipmedia.com.

The book "Gypsy picking" is THE bible of right hand technique for this style. That's really important.
    Denis' "Technique and improvisation" 1 and 2 will have you playing classic gypsy jazz licks over common changes the proper way in no time, you'll improve a lot in very little time. You can accomplish what would take a year in a couple of months.
    Once you got the hang of it watch volumes 3 and 4 for some stuff that will make your seasoned horn blowing buddies turn their heads.

There are also two "In the style of" DVDs produced by Denis, featuring the masters themselves playing as if seen through a microscope, one with Wawau Adler and one with Stochelo Rosenberg, they are both unbelievable.
    "The art of accompaniment" DVD will help you confirm you're playing correct rhythm guitar or get you in the right track if you're not.
    If you start really getting into rhythm get "Gypsy Rhythm" by Horowitz, an encyclopedia-like book all about rhythm.

Work on your ear as much as you can, that's THE key to playing jazz, any kind of jazz.
    Technique is also important and I've been amazed at what can be accomplished with only 1 daily hour of focused practicing, try in particular some Gypsy Waltzes. Denis just released a DVD of Stochelo demonstrating 8 classic ones, it's awesome. Those will really get your technique going and they are fun to play.

As for guitars a Cigano Gj10 is a great deal at just over 300 bones.
    Since you're playing out think about adding a pickup a piezo (Bigtone, Schatten) or a magnetic one like the Stimer and an amp if you don't have one or a preamp if you play through PAs.
    While you can learn and play on almost any guitar, it does help to have the right kind.

Welcome again and best of luck!

Enrique.
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Totally, agree with Enrique (have a post on my blog about this topic, too).

Now, don't know if this item is still available, but it's fairly recent, and sounds like a great deal for someone wanting to jump in to this area. Check it out, guitar and instruction books.

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7257

Welcome to the group. I'm having a great time learning this style myself after putting it on the back burner for 30 odd years. Now, I can't get enough - you're right about it being a good 'sickness', actually obsession is more like it. So much to learn and so many great resources now avaiable.

I just found an old Django compilation book I had bought back in '94, and packed away. At the time, I had interest, but had none of the music, so it was hard to get going - so I dropped it again. The book isn't all that great, but it does have a tune, I've been listening to a lot lately, 'Paramount Stomp', and was having a hard time finding chord changes to it. Lucky I took some time to look through old storage. Who knows what else I've got packed away. ;-)
  • All very sound advice, Enrique.

I am looking into getting a properly set up Cigano, as it is in my price range. The Chang DVDs and the Gypsy picking book make great holiday gifts, so I will suggest this to Ms. Santa.

We play a few waltzes right now: La Zinagra, Reve Bohemien, and Valse Des Niglos. I just have to work up the nerve to start blowing over some of these. Jo Privat's Manouche Partie was a nice starting point for this project and we owe a lot to this record for getting us going, in terms of repertoire.

Thanks!

Jim
  • Just a follow up:

I picked up a Dell'Arte Pigalle on the cheap from ebay. It arrived yesterday and I was able to play it during my weekly gig. Unbelievable how much different it is from my Martin. I'm definitely going to need a pickup, as the lead player bought a 250M that has a K&K pickup installed.

Picking is going well. I've dedicated my practice time into getting the rest stroke down and mix the exercises with the heads from all of the tunes we do. I'm on a very strange but interesting path.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    If you already have an amp there's a very cheap Dimarzio stick-on pickup that sounds great:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-Ac ... 1127851.gc
    That will get you heard until you get something else like a Schatten, Bigtone, etc.

Congrats on the new guitar!
  • Thanks, Harry. I'll definitely take a look at that pickup. It certainly has a price point that can't be beat...at least for a temporary fix.