DjangoBooks.com

Scratchy sound on Tchavolo's "Esprit"

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
edited August 2011 in Recording Posts: 1,665
"Esprit" on Tchavolo's "Alors ... Voila" has a great old scratchy vinyl sound, with a very thin acoustic like a vintage recording. Does anyone know how this is achieved? I use Cakewalk Sonar Producer Edition, can't find anything in the effects that seems to apply.
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    I love that "Esprit" tune---aside from the recording quality its all about that unexpected change to Eflat 6/9 in the A section
    btw isn't Ninine garcia also on that tune?

Maybe they copied the approach on those 2 mid 90's Fapy recordings...
    from the liner notes
    "As with the first CD 'Swing Guitars' Hungaria was recorded in a fashion similar to that used by Django Reinhardt and Stephanne Grappelli in the mid 1930's.
    A very few photographic references, and a lettle experimentation pointed towards using one principal microphone (in our case BBC circa 1938) for the whole band, and one or two ambience mics to high light different dynamics.
    Each track is a live performance with no drop-ins, clean ups, overdubs, and the mix was altered only by moving our chairs. The slightest movement altered greatly the tone and volume of each individual instrument.
    The quality of sound, strictly monophonic, with flat dynamic range, poor frequency response and absence of harmonics we found to be a bi-product of playing and recording in a style long forgotten by most, and longed for by others".

stu b
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Hi Klaatu

I have Cubase and have used a VST plug in to achieve that old worn out sound. From what I understand VST plug ins should work with Cakewalk - unfortunately I can't locate the plug in on my machine but here's a link to a site which will let you download it for free after registering

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/#

hope that helps
    Alan
    always learning
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Wonderful, thanks, Alan.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • McQMcQ Fayetteville, ARNew
    I just downloaded and installed the iZotope Vinyl plugin for Cakewalk Sonar, and it is so much fun! Tried a few of the presets, and "Attic Treasure" really captures the older sound of some of those 30's era recordings, or leave it on Default and select the "record player" to 1930. I was messing around after importing The Rosenberg Trio's "Manoir de Mes Reves" Root album recording. I love this plugin!
    Here's a pic of the control panel:
    screenshot.jpg
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Wonderful! Thanks, that will save me a lot of trouble. Now it's just a question of deciding which tune from our next CD to mess up.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • chappiechappie ✭✭✭✭
    Here is the "A" Section of Valse Bamboula I recorded using only Garage Band and a couple of vinyl tracks borrowed from freesound.org...very simple stuff.
    charlie
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    Just downloaded Izotope for protools 9 and remixed a big band recording on it - absolutely fantastic!!! Especially the vocals - they just popped with a very pleasant, not cheesy at all, vintage vocal loveliness!! thanks for the recommend.