DjangoBooks.com

Costa Lucas??

stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
edited August 2005 in History Posts: 386
Who was this guy?
I've seen his name mentioned many times( first of all many years ago in a UK article about Louis gallo) but i've been unable to find recordings or info
Usual suspects please
Stu

Comments

• BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi Stu and Ted,
    Costa Lucasz was a living legend. Perhaps some of you know the CD of pianist Jermaine Landsberger "For Costa". This CD is dedicated to Costa Lucasz. As far as I know Costa was born in Austria. He played there with Harri Stojka and Zipflo Weinrich for a short while, but unfortunately there are no published recordings of that ensemble. In the early 70´s Costa played in the Leszek Zadlo Enesemble (perhaps you know Leszeks saxophone playing on Birelis Album "15").

Later Costa went to Berlin and worked as a guitar teacher. Unexpectedly he passed away on 15th April 1993 at the age of only 51 years.

As far as I know there are no records of Costa. Some of his guitar students have recordings. So I know that guitarist Helmut Kagerer has many recordings but he doesn´t want to share them. I think Jörg Seidel has some recordings. too. I will ask him.

Costa was a Guitar animal. He played 20 hours a day. Helmut Kagerer told me that Costa was able to improvise over "Nuages" a solo completely composed of 6-string-chords. Costa played every style perfectly but - yes his roots was gypsy jazz.

Hope that someone else may have more informations, especially about recordings.

Best,

Barengero
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Barengero wrote:
    Hope that someone else may have more informations, especially about recordings.

Best,

Barengero

Not sure who's going to have more information than you've already given...you're an encyclopedia, my friend! We're lucky to have you here, and I hope you stick around.

Best,
    Jack.
  • stochestoche ParisNew
    Thanks for these fascinating informations... I had never heard about this guitarist!
    Six strings chords... really?!

stoche
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Hi Stu,

Hope all is well.
    stubla wrote:
    Who was this guy?
    I've seen his name mentioned many times( first of all many years ago in a UK article about Louis gallo) but i've been unable to find recordings or info
    Usual suspects please
    Stu

I've never heard of him, nor ever seen any mention of him. Are you sure it was in relation to Gypsy Jazz? Could it have been Manolo Sanlucar?

Best,

Ted

Hi Ted and barengero
    All is well here
    Many thanks Barengero for the info on Costa--he sounds like an interesting figure
    Was he a gypsy btw?
    I know Sanlucars playing--superb flamenco player but made some highly dodgy commercial recordings in the 70s--his early work is great though.
    cheers
    stu