DjangoBooks.com

Changing the strings????

Hey folks,
A real newbie here...was wondering if anyone could give some advice on how to change the strings on a gypsy guitar/dupont (slotted headstock - not used to these types of tuners). Just restrung it, and now feel like the action is a bit higher than it was (not sure if it's the strings - argentine 11, or the way I wound them... doesn't look like the bridge moved) - I can almost fit a 3.5 wegen under the 12th fret wire/string at low e (seems too high). Anyhow, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Comments

• SEVSEV OlympiaNew
    Hey folks,
    A real newbie here...was wondering if anyone could give some advice on how to change the strings on a gypsy guitar/dupont (slotted headstock - not used to these types of tuners). Just restrung it, and now feel like the action is a bit higher than it was (not sure if it's the strings - argentine 11, or the way I wound them... doesn't look like the bridge moved) - I can almost fit a 3.5 wegen under the 12th fret wire/string at low e (seems too high). Anyhow, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Hi there, sorry to have to tell you this but 3.5mm is average for these guitars and some - including me - would say it's even a bit low with 4 to 5 mm being a decent height. I take it the guitar has a zero fret unless it's Nomade which don't have them.. It's the zero fret that sets the string height in conjunction with the bridge so it's unlikely that you've raised the action by winding the strings incorrectly. Do you know what strings were on it before you changed them ?

The only other thing that comes to mind is that possibly the neck has adjusted under the tension of new strings, a long shot but who knows. Maybe some other people can suggest what's gone awry.

Good luck
    always learning
  • Look down the neck and see how much curve is in the neck.

if you put heavier strings on that will change the curve to some degree ...... can vary between almost impossible to see and turning into minor ski jump. Your guitar neck most likely is adjustable. If that doesn't mean anything best take it to a shop or a luthier you know.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • SEVSEV OlympiaNew
    I put argentine 11-46 on, which is what was on it. I do not see any curve.
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    SEV:

The the height at the 12th fret of about 3.5 mm, as gauged with your Wegen pick sounds about normal for this type of guitar. Perhaps you're feeling the stiffness of the 0.11s, as compared with your previous strings, which might have been 0.10s. I'm only speculating.
  • If your neck is pretty much straight then the only things I can think of is either the neck angle has changed a bit (humidity or slightly loose in some way) or the before and after impressions of the string height are misleading you.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    There are a variety of articles on the Net with pics showing you how to change strings on a slotted headstock. I had sent you a link to one of these yesterday but I don't see anymore my post (which is kind of eerie...). Anyway, if you manage to raise the action of the strings by means of wounding,that's a helluva trick!
  • SEVSEV OlympiaNew
    what is average string height at 12th fret anyways?
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Each to his own and there is a trade off between volume and playability - and intonation - my guitars are all around 4mm on the low E and 3 - 3.5mm on the high E side

Alan :wink:
    always learning
  • SEVSEV OlympiaNew
    intonation and volume are spot on - under 3.5 at 12 - what do you play? I am using an MD50