DjangoBooks.com

Daphne tune - right hand

zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
edited August 2005 in Technique Posts: 94
Hi, all!

I have a very simple question -
which right hand motion should I use when playing the end of A part - I mean D-B-A-D passage of 8-th notes - only down, or down-up-down-down?

Thanks.
Anton

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    D B A D?

are you talking about the melody? there's nothing like that in the melody.

it actually goes D B D...

if you do it as octaves, I personally use downstrokes only and I play the D B D octaves on the same string sets (A and G strings)

you can use whatever you feel gives the best sound (and of course what feels most comfortable)
  • zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
    Dennis,

sorry, I was to lazy to put notes yesterday,
    I play the tune in such way (but in octaves)

daf.jpg

so, the last notes are 8th; I also play DBA on the same, E-D strings set.

Anton
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    hi anton

well you can certainly play the theme that way but that's not how i or most people play it (see my previous reply)

so you're saying you use octaves? on the E and D strings? i personally would change a few things and play them on the A and G strings with the "A" octave on the E and D...

i dont have my guitar with me now... but i'd probably do the last four notes D U D D, most of the work will seem to be on the left hand....
  • zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
    Hi, Dennis!

Yes, now I don't know why they put addition A note in all .gtps that I have since a lot of time ago - I check all my recordings of the tune available, and in all them the tune is played just as you told. In this variant - now problem to use only Down motion.

Now, one more interesting question - in this video

http://www.about-django.com/news/videos/raphael_daphne.htm

Raphael uses all 4 fingers for the melody line. I think, the similar fingering uses Stochelo very frequently. Although almost all is visible, but when I try to play, it goes not very good, so maybe you tell me what they exactly do?...

Thanks and thanks!
    Anton
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    zav wrote:
    Now, one more interesting question - in this video

http://www.about-django.com/news/videos/raphael_daphne.htm

Raphael uses all 4 fingers for the melody line. I think, the similar fingering uses Stochelo very frequently. Although almost all is visible, but when I try to play, it goes not very good, so maybe you tell me what they exactly do?...

Thanks and thanks!
    Anton

Hi Anton,

for me it looks as if Raphael uses his middle finger only to damp the lower strings, but not to produce any sounds there. Watch his right hand: he only strums over the 4 high strings.

Best,

Barengero