DjangoBooks.com

Loop pedal

PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
I was looking into getting a Loop (sampler) pedal so I can record rhythm and play over the changes at my own tempo. Any recommendations on any such gear?
Also I don't have a built in pick up like a big tone, but use a schertler DYN-G - will they work with this?
thanks for any recommendations and info.

Phil

Comments

• WColsherWColsher PhiladelphiaNew
    Relatively inexpensive (about $150 street price) loop pedals like the Boss RC2 ( http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetai ... rentId=262 ) are designed to work with ordinary high impedance guitar pickups (unbalanced, line level, using a quarter inch plug). I believe the Schertler DYN-G provides a low impedance microphone type balanced, mic level signal (XLR connector- a three pin deal about a half inch in diameter).

The more expensive ($240 street price) pedals like the DigiTech JamMan ( http://www.digitech.com/products/Pedals/JamMan.php ) have balanced mic-level inputs and can be used with your pickup.

You might also consider a dedicated digital recorder like the Zoom H4n. It's a bit more expensive than the second type of pedal but is also much more versatile and provides higher quality recordings.
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    I don't have any experience with this item, but it may be something to consider depending on your needs.
    Fender G DEC 30 Digital Entertainment Center Amp xtras
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-G-DEC-30-Digital-Entertainment-Center-Amp-xtras_W0QQitemZ150379025282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230349d382

I was thinking about it, and maybe someone has an opinion about it. More than a loop pedal, though, but the price seems decent enough.
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    I used to have the Boss RC 20 & i upgraded to the jamman and it's much better.

More loops,

A usb lead to drag & drop loops from your pc to it, so you can, for instance, chop up a Wrembel backing to 32 bars exactly on your pc, , put it on your jamman and have it play all day while you practice over the top. (slow it down & retain the pitch; record your head over the top & listen,... find a harmony),

An SD card, i.e. infinite memory,

An optional footpedal to switch between loops as your playing

It does have two inputs, one jack one XLR, but the XLR doesn't do phantom power. But it does everything the Boss RC 20 does & a lot more.
  • Dr. HallDr. Hall Green Bay, WisconsinNew
    I've been experimenting with a Boss RC-2 Loop Station pedal, and it works pretty well. You can record the rhythm guitar (up to 16 minutes worth if you like with this particular pedal), then solo over it. If you're using it live, you basically have to play a whole chorus of rhythm first before playing the lead over that loop, but if your rhythm chops are cool enough then your audience should dig it. The seamless transition from recording the rhythm loop to playing lead over that takes some practice (and pretty exact timing) with the pedal.

If you're just looking for something at home for a backing track, the Boss pedal would work for that too, but you might as well just record your rhythm tracks (if you have recording capabilities on your computer or whatnot) and play along with those pre-recorded tracks. Recording entire rhythm tracks will hone your rhythm skills and your concentration. The little Boss loop pedals seem more geared for playing lead lines over a quick one-chorus rhythm track loop.

The Digitech JamMan, on the other hand, allow you to pre-record a bunch of stuff (1 or 2 gigabytes) and then call it up on a gig. A Zoom H-4 would pretty much do the same thing but you'd need the appropriate adapter and a cable and a second channel (or at least a second input) to plug it into you amp and play along with your guitar.

-Stefan
  • lmntrylmntry Portland , Oregon✭✭✭✭
    Hey Phil...

I have one thats not getting used.

David