DjangoBooks.com

New Macaferri style guitar

13»

Comments

• drollingdrolling New
    Hey capilano-gypsy, the last time I had the pleasure of playing a Dunn was at a Robin Nolan master class in Montreal a few summers ago. The guitar played/sounded great and was visually stunning- a lot nicer than the one I tried in Not Just Another Music Store on Granville street several years earlier (to be fair, it was a very old, used one - poorly set-up). Something that really impressed me was the fact that he was selling them at par with the US dollar to his Canadian customers. His pricing policies may have changed in the meantime, but I do know that other Canadian luthiers I've since contacted are pricing their instruments in US dollars even if you're buying locally. Why don't you contact Michael yourself? Isn't his lutherie right in the Vancouver area?

I've been getting most of my gear on line recently. Even factoring in the outrageous brockerage & customs fees, I've saved thousands of dollars. I'd love to be able to support local businesses, but I'm just sick & tired of being gouged by music retailers here.

There aren't any gypsy guitars for sale in Montreal anyway. When I contacted the 12th Fret in Toronto, they were charging manufacturers suggested retail price for their Gitanes, which IMO, is ridiculous.
  • drollingdrolling New
    phil_g wrote:
    A Mac shaped guitar is not enough to warrant the gypsy label - there is a lot more to these instruments than the shape.
    This is what I was alluding to when I mentioned the hundred dollar strat copies that are in proliferation. Asian manufacturers are flooding the market with dirt cheap clones of just about every design imagineable. They do look very good, indeed, but generally play & sound like dogmeat.

The Gitanes are the exception, rather than the rule.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i tried an aria at the rosenberg camp, it was the D hole, model.... i dunno, i really liked it, and it sounded good to me.... when the rosenbergs/schafers would play it, it sounded the way it should sound...

it felt good, sounded good.....

which therefore leads me to believe that it's (almost) all in the player as long as the instrument is setup properly
  • blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
    would someone please check on mr. dunn, he may be experiencing an infarction
    shut up and play your guitar
  • Mac HackMac Hack San Diego, CANew
    blindjimmy wrote:
    would someone please check on mr. dunn, he may be experiencing an infarction

He's usually pretty good about responding to E-mails but it looks like he's at Djangofest Northwest.
    http://www.djangofest.com/nw/home.htm
    "On apprend tous les jours." - Stéphane Grappelli