DjangoBooks.com

What is Kevin Nolan using when he plays with Jorgenson?

Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
It's a Gitane of some kind (no doubt due to JJ's endorsement). Is it the long scale DG320, regular D500, or something else entirely?
Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I only saw Kevin play a few times (a couple years ago) but he was using a Aylward 12-fret Dhole at that time. Jorgeson is the first guy who I saw at Djangofest that actually played a Gitane during a serious show... it was impressive. Was it around 2005 or 2006 I think?
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    When I saw the JJQ in June 2009, I am almost positive Kevin was a playing a new Gitane.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    That's likely. His Aylward bit the dust - damage around the tailpiece area in the summer of 2008 if I remember correctly. May it rest in peace. Or better yet, may it be repaired and not rest at all ;-)
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Caravan GSECaravan GSE Madison, WINew
    He was just here in Madison 3 weeks ago for the gypsy fest. Is is a DG 500. Saga is making a Kevin Nolan model and he has a 500 to tide him over while they create it. He told me it is essentially a copy of the Aylward. He also told me that he was attempting to get the Aylward fixed last year some time. I forgot to ask him this time. Luckly JJ quintet is here on Thursday. I will ask him for a guitar update if I remember.

Christo
    Chris Ruppenthal
    Caravan Gypsy Swing Ensemble
    www.gypsyswing.com
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Was his Aylward a 12 fret D hole ?

So will Gitane/Saga finally make and upgraded short scale D hole 12 fret ?

Hope so.
    If this is true & not just stage-banter or a misunderstanding of words, it disturbs me to hear that there is some reason to believe it will "essentially be a 'Copy of the Aylward'" What I'm hoping is that the meaning of this phrase is really: "It is a 12 fret Dhole & the Aylward is a 12 fret Dhole & so it is (essentially) like it."

In any case, if it is a copy of an Aylward - it will not likely actually sound like an Aylward, but it is an important distinction nonetheless. Rob's D-holes are very good and part of that may be innovation.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    What are the unique/innovative features of an Aylward?
  • Caravan GSECaravan GSE Madison, WINew
    As I remember it Kevin's said that the folks in design at Saga took a look at his Aylward a while ago(measurements, woods, exc....) One thing I remember is that he said they would be putting a thinner sound board on it than the DJ 500 has. Again this is being recalled from a conversation last summer. He will be here tomorrow. I'll ask again.

In the end I think that we should all expect that it will have the typical clunky woofy sound that is to be expected and won't be the spot on replication of a true Selmer that all Cardoba's attain out of the box. :D
    Chris Ruppenthal
    Caravan Gypsy Swing Ensemble
    www.gypsyswing.com
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    I'm pretty sure Kevin's model is going to be all solid wood also. No laminate back and sides on this one. At least that was the original plan.
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
    I called Rob. He says they measured it without his knowledge and he didn't particularly like that fact - and he wasn't particularly impressed with the resulting guitar and he didn't mind my posting that on his behalf.

This has nothing to do with whether they're smart enough to use what they've taken - and this isn't studying an historical instrument from a deceased luthier to learn from it and preserve its design for posterity, folks. This is Rob Alyward's creative work.

I feel like I'm among friends here on the DJB forum and yet no one seems terribly disturbed by this. Am I misreading the sentiment?

Maurice Dupont produces the Nomade, **** produces the Latcho Drom Manouche, and Claude Patennote produces the 250/251/256 - all of which are fantastic starter guitars in this price range and they all do it by the sweat of their own brow and the sharpness of their own ideas. Certainly I'm not the only one who finds this important?