edited March 2012 in Repertoire Posts: 101
dansenorvegienne.jpg

I love this song ! :D

It is a very cool song to practice your I-II-V

Comments

• zeddyfreezeddyfree The Netherlands, near UtrechtNew
    Thank you. Just what I needed.
    So how do I approach soloing over this?

It seems obvious I can use the D major arp for the first part. But for the rest of the song the chords move pretty fast and I'm not sure what to play. I find myself playing the D major scale... :(

Thanks for any tips and/or examples ;)
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    you need to take the time to figure out the arpeggios and work out a fingering system for each and every one of them, very very important

btw the harmonic analysis is wrong and some of the chords are wrong too, sorry! i gtg now, maybe someone else will correct everything
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Where is the study? nothing shows up on my computer???

thanks
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I think the term "study" refers to the latin numbering next to each chord - hence Dennis's comments.
    EG, D = 1, Gm = IV etc.

As for what to play, my take is to play as close to the melody as possible and then try to embellish it a bit on each run through of the chord sequence and then chuck in the inevitable diminished arpeggios.

Alan
    always learning
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Tim gives a great run on this, much impressed by his sound too, good place to start for such a melodic tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn-v1keBv10
    tomcunn
  • thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    Thanks redblues!

I'd add that I'm with Denis on this one. It's essential to study the arpeggios for every single chord.

While doing a harmonic analysis is useful in some ways, for example when you're teaching the tune to someone on a gig etc., as far as improvisation goes I don't really find that stuff relevant. Beyond the obvious ii-V-I and minor iib5-V progressions in it, I treat every chord as an entity in itself. So for example in the last four bars where the harmony goes D, D7, G, Gm6, I certainly wouldn't be thinking how that relates to the home key of D as I was playing, but rather the arpeggios and to a lesser extent the scales of each chord as it comes along.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Well put Tim, that's what I was rtying to say but failed dismally. Thanks for all the good work you do and I love your Danse ending on the video

Alan
    always learning
  • zeddyfreezeddyfree The Netherlands, near UtrechtNew
    Ok thank you very much for the good tips. So no short cuts :) I was hoping that by harmonic analysis I could group chords.

For now I'm mainly focussing on ii-V-I with Jimmy Bruno and Dennis Chang DVD 2, but never too early to work on the rest :D

I've got a correct progression in a book where the Eb0 from above is split into F#m7/5- and B7/5+ and some other changes. I can figure out what to play over most, and already my first try is much more fun then what I've played before.

This is one of my favorite songs, as are ballads in general. They give me some time to feel and think what to play next.

I'll start doing the arpeggio's and then maybe check back on how Thrips solo uses them. Wondeful solo indeed!

Thanks again,
    Frédéric
  • thripthrip London, UKProdigy
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    I personally think in groups of chords... I definitely do know my theory but it's not necessary if you have the ear for it... I use the different groups of chord progressions to help me with the phrasing ... I think of the D and Gm as one unit... so i'll play a phrase that links both chords together, and then the next D and Gm, i tried to respond to that phrase somehow... then I phrase through the entire the D Bm7 Em7 A7, with a little bit of call and response as well etc...

but before you can get to that level,, it's absolutely important to master each individual chord and its arpeggios at the most basic level (triads and 4 note chords), so you need to work them all out individually

these are the real chords

D Gm D Gm D Bm7 Em7 A7 F#m7b5 B7 Em7 A7 F#m7b5 B7 Em7 A7 D D7 G Gm D Bm7 Em7 A7 D

Those are the chords as they are played nowadays, but when Django recorded it, In the B section, he used Adim7 Bbdim7 Adim7 Bbdim7...