DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (3)

• Buco 9:02AM
  • jonpowl 9:02AM
  • MichaelHorowitz 9:02AM

Today's Birthdays

NorthSeaJazzClub jared

Hot Club of Detroit on NPR on July 24

Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
edited July 2009 in North America Posts: 999
I just received this e-mail, which I thought I would share with everyone:

Hey Folks,
I wanted to make sure that you all know about this upcoming show.
It's a great band, with some smokin' guitar work.
They will be at DFNW along with Howard Alden this September.
Evan Perri on lead, and Paul Brady on rhythm.
Their new CD "Night Town" on Mac Avenue Records has been getting great reviews
Evan is a very good arranger and player and has great ideas.
Paul Brady is a fine player as well, and he is getting a degree in Jazz History from Rutgers, I believe.
. They really like to mix it up, playing the Miles Davis classic "Seven Steps To Heaven,"
along with fresh takes on classics like "Coquette."

You can check your local station for air time.
I believe that the show will be available as a podcast after the air date.
Check out www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16127413
Here's the blurb on their website:

July 24: The Hot Club of Detroit
"The Hot Club of Detroit is a jazz quintet that takes its inspiration from the legendary gypsy-jazz juggernaut the Quintette du Hot Club de France. Guitarist Evan Perri follows in the footsteps of Hot Club originator Django Reinhardt, and he leads his motor-city incarnation of the group on two Reinhardt classics, "Coquette" and "Nuages."
I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.

Related Discussions

Discussion Starter Forum R / V Latest
Hot Club of Phila. on NPR Tonight!The Hot Club of Philadelphia is getting airplay on Chris Heim's Global Village show tonight. It's on an NPR station in Wichita. It can be streamed … HCQ North America 1 / 185 HCQ on January 2011
HOT CLUB OF HUNGARY LIVE on the INTERNET! TODAY!!!!!!Hi, Today from 17-18.30 Hot Club of Hungary play on the world longest concert (we just take a part!:) ) and you can see us on this website: [url=ht… tzuiop Europe 1 / 1.2K tzuiop on June 2008
The Hot Club of Philadelphia on March 26thThe Hot Club of Philadelphia will be performing a benefiti show on March 26th. The Nichols Berg Gallery in Chestnut Hill is hosting a cocktail party… HCQ North America 1 / 208 HCQ on March 2011
Whit Smith of Hot Club of Cowtown "Lick of the Week" InversionsGreat Video from Whit Smith here in Texas Although it's in the [b][i][u]Western Swing Style[/u][/i][/b] It's got some info to move into Gypsy Jazz… pickitjohn Technique 1 / 530 Buco on May 2014
Connie Evingson & the Hot Club of Sweden - with Tony Balluff on clarinethttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4vBgkcc4kI AndyW Woodwinds 0 / 105 AndyW on January 2017
Anyone working on note for note Django and/or Step on mando?What piece, and how is it sitting? I find some lines sit really nicely and others just don't have the same effect due to the fingering... jmcgann Mandolin 7 / 3.8K Bill Da Costa Williams on January 2005
Hot Club of Boulder in JulyThe Hot Club of Boulder is hitting the streets in July. We'd love to see you at any or all of the following Colorado events: Saturday, July 9 Rhyt… bbeshoar North America 1 / 826 bbeshoar on July 2005
Tchan Tchou-Manouche Partie LP 1st on sale on eBayTchan Tchou-Manouche Partie LP 1st pressing on sale on eBay [url=http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&vie… patrus le sommelier CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews 1 / 827 patrus le sommelier on November 2006
Comping on Les Yeux Noirs on Jazz a Viennes DVDI was watching this DVD last night and was intrigued to see the different approaches each player had towards the rhythm for this tune (Les Yeux Noirs… dlloyd Gypsy Jazz 101 10 / 4.4K dlloyd on April 2007
Hot Club of DetroitI just heard these guys on a local college jazz station (KNTU 88.1 in TX). The station played a tune, "Godfather Theme," and it sounded great. The … Stackabones Welcome 1 / 614 Stackabones on May 2007
Article on Gypsyjazz on MSN.comheres the link: [url=http://cityguides.msn.com/citylife/article.aspx?cp-documentid=7072784&GT1=24000]http://cityguides.msn.com/citylife/arti ... &GT… TimmyHawken Welcome 3 / 718 djangology on May 2008
Any tips on 'locking in' on faster tunes?One of the things I really took notice of at DFNW this year was how relentlessly consistent good rhythm players are. Hearing Mathieu back Sebastien o… Bob Holo Technique 15 / 2.6K a on November 2008
The Hot Club of Philadelphia @ The Club CosmopolitanHi, Just an FYI, The Hot Club of Philadelphia will be performing at Bob Eagan's, The Club Cosmopolitan this Saturday Feb 19, in New Hope, PA Dal… HCQ North America 1 / 205 HCQ on February 2011
Hot Club of Las Vegas @ The Cosmopolitan of LV 2 NIGHTS! Marlow-HCLV North America 1 / 324 Marlow-HCLV on August 2012
Hot Club of Las Vegas @ NAMM (Anaheim) 1/24/13[b][size=150]First gig of 2013! All you Californians and all you NAMM-goers please join us at the Marriott, Thursday 1/24 6pm![/size][/b] Mundo North America 6 / 781 Mundo on January 2013
My own thread on transcriptions, hotjazzplaying and so on..Hi there! I'm a 26 year-old guy from Norway. Started playing gypsy-guitar about a year ago, really happy about my Gitane DG-255. Here I'll be postin… a_onarheim Welcome 22 / 1.8K a_onarheim on February 2014
New, Long Awaited Matelo Ferre Release on Hot Club Records!!Friends, Jon Larson at Hot Club Records has done it again! Basically a vol. 2 of the "Tziganskaia" album, this is a compilation of the Matelo's si… Ted Gottsegen History 11 / 1.1K Bill Da Costa Williams on March 2014
Tons of fun on the road, and preview of new transcriptionCheck out the latest from the road, and a preview of my next transcription... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy8gUHYosrs Dario Napoli Welcome 4 / 285 Dario Napoli on August 2014
Whit Smith of Hot Club of Cowtown Guitar Chord Lesson "INVERSIONS"Not Gypsy Jazz but great info.. Hope you enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yyK3wVNku4 pickitjohn Technique 14 / 2.6K rgrice on November 2014
Some advice on how to keep on track with Gypsy Jazz during school hours.As of now, I'm a college student and because of going to school 5 days a week with class hours from 7:00am to 4:00pm/5:00pm/6:00pm plus an hour or tw… Nathan Sist Gypsy Jazz 101 21 / 940 Jazzaferri on February 2015

Comments

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Hi all,
    I also got this- and think that everyone should check it out!
    I am not going to re post the info- but we should all try to check out the HCOD on the radio!
    Ben
  • robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    I really like these guys' sound. Evan Perri is a nimble guitarist, and the arrangements with accordion and reeds are a sophisticated blend, reminding me a little of Henry Mancini.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    My understanding from another member is that these folks will be doing a workshop in Elgin, Illinois, this spring - anyone from the midwest (or points farther), here's the info, if interested:

http://hotclubofdetroit.com/

"March 3rd to 6th
    Residency & Concerts on 5th & 6th @ 8pm
    Elgin Community College
    Elgin, IL"
    pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • GregLewisGregLewis Chicago, IL (Oak Park)New
    Here is the e-mail exchange Pass referred to:

Dear Greg,

Thanks. I will forward your email to our agent to make him aware of your demands regarding the classes.
    Excellent! Will keep you posted.

Best,
    Julien

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Gregory Lewis <lewiswriter@att.net> wrote:
    Well - being very new to GJ, I could use coaching on everything. At this point, the pompe is still not coming together; I would imagine anything on rhythm would be well received. Arpeggios are also somewhat of a mystery.

Please keep me in mind, and if there is anything I can do to help out, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

Greg

To: Lewiswriter <Lewiswriter@comcast.net>
    Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 7:32:40 AM
    Subject: Re: Elgin, IL 2010

Dear Greg,

Thanks for your message.
    We are still on the planning stage of our Elgin Residence.
    You can count on short performances, workshops, maybe some individual coaching.
    Is there any topics in particular that you were interested in ?
    Please let us know.
    Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Julien Labro