DjangoBooks.com

Schertler David amp and schertler pickup...not cutting it?

I'm using the Schertler David amp with DYN-G and its really not working out so well...(there are drums involved) I DI into the pa and get most of my stage sound from this, but the quality vs volume doesn't quite balance.

any ideas? does this model need a preamp? vs Unico?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The David is pretty low powered....it's really just for low volume cafe type gigs.

You'd need the Unico or even better an acoustic image to get tons of volume. The AER compact 60 is also very loud but sounds terrible with the DYN.

'm
  • woodshedderwoodshedder FlorenceNew
    any specific recommendations you could offer...?

i noticed in another post you mentioned razor (sp?) speaker and acoustic image amp.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Yes, the acoustic image amp with a raezors edge speaker is the holy grail of solid state tone and performance. If you can afford it that's the best you can get!

The Unico is pretty close in tone...but lacks the overwhelming headroom of the AI. Also, the Unico has a harder time with low end and it also is more prone to feedback. The RE speaker is amazingly resistant to feedback...I compared to many other amps: Schertler, AER, Phil Jones, etc and the RE can get 30% louder before feedback. Nice!

'm