DjangoBooks.com

tape & finishes

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
Hi all,

Can anyone suggest a good tape to use for holding a wire in place on a guitar top? I've got an under-bridge pickup mounted, w/ the wire running to the tailpiece, and want to make sure I don't knock it loose while playing. I'd read that gaffer tape is good, but can't seems to find it around here. Will regular Scotch tape damage the finish?

Also, if you have any ideas about what to AVOID, I'm all ears.

thanks,
Jack.

Comments

• pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    i do believe gaffa tape is called duck tape in america, i wouldn't use scotch tape, it could pull the finish off when you take the tape off.

Maybe blu-tac would work?

Or masking tape, that's designed not to damage finishes when removed (doesn't always work though!!!!)
  • HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    Jack,

It depends on how strong you need it to be. In the US, painter's tape is a low tack masking tape that doesn't harm or react with most finishes. Its blue in color.

Regular masking tape could wreck a finish and in time react with it leaving a mess that might never come off.

Best,
    HCQ
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, duck (or duct) tape is different-gaffer tape is less adhesive. I'll check out the painter's tape.

Best,
    Jack.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    you could also try the Schertler putty by itself of as adhesive on a plastic strip for example