DjangoBooks.com

Going from Gypsy picking to electric technique

13»

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I actually like gypsy picking for blues and rock and roll. A stiff, fat pick and rest stroke picking comes really close to the finger picking sound of Albert Collins or even Jeff Beck. lus, almosr all of the early electric blues guys used rest stroke picking, because that's pretty much all anyone did until more powerful amps came out in the early/mid 60's. There's the occasional lick that requires alternate picking, but to my suprise, there isn't that much that gypsy picking won't work for.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    I saw Stephane Wrembel's usual combo the last two weeks in brooklyn, with the addition of a full drum set, and stephane playing a stratocaster for a few songs, complete with distortion, wahwah, and whammy bar (sometimes all at once)!

He SLAUGHTERED it! It was the Stephane experience brought to a whole new level.

In regards to his picking technique (I had a front row seat, about 3-4 feet in front of him)... he was definitely using plenty of rest strokes and the same tremolo that I hear on his acoustic stuff. So, the strong gypsy definitely translates to the electric guitar - he probably took some time to get his levels right so that it wasn't overpowering, or with bad tone, or whatever.
    Get in touch to jam if you're in the NYC area!