DjangoBooks.com

SOLD: Beautiful SHORT SCALE Dell'Arte 14 fret D hole

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
edited July 2009 in Classifieds Posts: 1,665
Hello everyone -

My very special Dell'Arte D hole is up for sale for $2300.

It is a 2003 model which I bought from **** about a year ago. Alain said if I hadn't bought it, he might have kept it for himself. It is a special order Anouman, with solid maple back and sides featuring outrageous flame. What makes it particularly unusual is that it is a 14 fret D hole with short scale (640mm). If you have smallish hands or just like short scale guitars but crave more than 12 frets clear of the body, this might be the guitar for you.

The other unusual dimension is the lower bout at 16", broader than a Selmer but not as big as a Favino.

The reason I am selling is that I have just sent AJL the money to buy a Gypsy Fire that Denis Chang was using while waiting for his fabulous new guitar to come in.

The Dell'Arte seems to have been lightly played before I got it, because it shows very little sign of wear. There is a small ding on one edge of the headstock and some spots on the top where some scratches have been repaired and laquered over (you have to hold it at the right angle to see them). The sound is typical of a D hole, nice and open, not the loudest guitar in the room, but a very good tone nonetheless. A couple of pros played it last week at Django in June and liked it. I suspect it still has some opening up to do. It also has a passive Schatten pickup installed. If you don't like that, it can be easily and nondestructively removed.

Photos are below in a subsequent post.
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Here are the pictures ...

Be sure to click on each to bring up a higher resolution version, because the low-res ones posted on this page look a little weird in spots.

Feel free to Pmail me with queries.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Denis, I DO love yours. I was listening to it up close while Andrew Lawrence played it Saturday night. It sounds AND looks fantastic. Of course, I can make it sound like $hit, but fixing that is another project.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    It has been sold.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Congrates on the quick sale Ben!

enjoy your new AJL.

cheers

wayne
    Thanks, Wayne. Daniel bought it. It's nice to know it's going to a good home.

The AJL should be here Tuesday, if all goes well. Yahoo!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Ben...congrats on the new guitar! Will yours be purple like Andreas'?

'm
    OhMyGod, I hope not!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Interesting the AJL went with a 670mm scale...the Modele #10 generally had a longer 675mm scale but he did make some with the shorter Selmer scale (like the Macias model). And the body is even bigger the a classic Favino. He has the body size as 425mm...most of the Favinos we've had have been more around 415mm across the lower bout. So that Gypsy Fire will be one big guitar! That's the biggest body size I've ever seen for a Gypsy guitar.

'm
    Cool! I heard from Wayne Nakamura that it more than held its own in a jam with Stochelo's Eimers and Bob Holo's F hole when Stochelo was in Montreal in March, and Denis says it has opened up some more since then.

It may be big for a gypsy guitar, but it's not as big as my 1946 Epiphone Triumph! That is one big-ass guitar! With big-ass strings (59-14).
    Benny

-- Orson Welles