DjangoBooks.com

Patrick Saussois - please read

scotscot Virtuoso
edited September 2011 in Welcome Posts: 653
To answer Phil's question, I am sorry to report that there is no improvement in Patrick's condition. In fact, I am told that he has what is called “Locked-in Syndrome”. This is a condition that few if any ever emerge from. Considering this, I would like to pass along a bit more information, including a short biography/CV.

Patrick has been a fixture on the Paris guitar scene for a long time. He's a superb guitarist (left handed, too) and can play in many styles. He played with the famed accordeonist Jo Privat, with many renowned gypsy guitarists, and made records here in the US with Bucky Pizarelli and saxophonist Richie Cole. His own records, whether they were solo efforts, with his regular band “Alma Sinti”or with various others like Koen de Kauter, were always full of clever arrangements, first class playing and superb production. He founded Djaz Records, a small company that put out many CDs of gypsy jazz and French mainstream jazz. This includes records by Ninine Garcia, Am Ketenes, Dany Bittel, Koen De Kauter, Raphael Fays, Dorado and Tchavolo Schmitt, and many more. He put a lot of effort into the production and packaging on the CDs Djaz issued – even the ones that he had to know would never make a dime. In years past he published a small but very interesting magazine called “Jazz Swing Journal”. These old magazines give a great look at what the Paris jazz world was like back in the 80s. Patrick is a great and generous character, always the guy who'd buy the first round. Because he's been around such a long time he always had great stories to tell – like the one he told me about how he and Didier Roussin got jobs playing in Jo Privat's band: old Jo was so impressed at their drinking prowess during the “interview”, he hired them on the spot without ever hearing them play... The point here is that though many people may be saddened by this turn of events, I don't think that the North American GJ community at large is fully aware of Patrick's place in the world of this music we all love. Believe me, his contributions were many and significant.

In recent conversations with friends in France, I've learned that Patrick's family has had considerable financial difficulty since he's been in the hospital. A few weeks ago I suggested to them that it might be possible to raise a few dollars for Patrick's family here in North America. I asked my old friend Francis-Alfred Moerman (he has known Patrick and his wife Lodie for many years) to check with the family to see if this was OK with them – I certainly did not wish to embarrass anyone. Francis called a few days ago and has gotten a green light from the family - they were surprised and quite grateful. So I'm going to give it a shot.

What I'm doing is this: I've set up a paypal account – it's the easiest way to transfer money around among individuals. And I'm asking members of this community to donate a small bit of money to help out Patrick's family. No one needs to give a lot, there are a lot of us here. After a period of time, all the money and names of donors (but not amounts given) will be transferred by the least expensive manner to the Saussois family. An accounting procedure is in place – any questions, please PM me. Paypal will take some of this money, around 3.3%, but that's a token amount. Except for such fees, every penny donated will go to the family. Any kind of currency is OK, of course. I don't think I can reasonably accept donations any other way except paypal. This isn't going to drag on and I'm not going to make a career of asking. We'll make this original request and then update once a week or so. Sometime in late June the project will end and all the money will go to Patrick's family.

I'm still working on setting up a webpage with a donation button but it takes time to set this up. It should be up and running in a day or three. In the meantime, the paypal account is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --> and anyone who wants to contribute and knows how the system works can go ahead and contribute now – all you have to do is go to paypal's home page and click on “send money”, it's very easy from there. Please spread the word on this, and many thanks to everyone in advance.

Regards
Scot Wise
www.musetteguitars.com

Comments

• NolanNolan Amsterdam✭✭✭✭
    Hi Scot - What an honourable thing to do -it's so very thoughtful of you to set this up - I for one shall give what I can -
    I first met Patrick in Samois when I 1st played there in 1994 and spent the whole night playing with him and Dorado at the camp -
    By chance I bumped into him at Amsterdam airport when I was on the way to the U.S. and he was returning form Montreal en route to Paris -he on the spot asked me to play for the Samois 2003 fest which was an honour for me and gladly accepted -handshake was enough - last time I saw him was in Samois '06 when I was sititing with him on the sunday morning on the island unable to play 'cause of my broken wrist and I just chatted and listened to him play some beautiful melodies on the guitar - he embodies the spirit and soul of this music and I love him very much...
    amites,
    robin
    www.GypsyJazzSecrets.com
    www.Gypsyjazzworldpassport.com
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    I'm in.

Thanks for doing this Scot.

John
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Scot, I don't have a paypal account, but I'd be happy to mail you a cheque which you can see gets onto paypal. Will that work? If so, PM your address and I will get something to you.

This is a great thing, and I hope lots of us can contribute. If everyone can just give a few bucks, it will add up fast.

Thanks so much for doing this.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    I also don't have pay pal accnt and will be happy to mail a check to you. So please PM your address and a check will be in the mail...cheers and thanks for doing this. Phil
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I don't want to put words into Scot's mouth, but since he did say "I don't think I can reasonably accept donations any other way except paypal," I thought I'd mention that it's free to set up an account for yourself at paypal.com. I don't have one either, but plan on setting one up to contribute what I can. Don't mean to be a nag, but if Scot's going to the trouble to pull it all together and get the donations to Patrick's family, the least we can do is make it easier on him. If nothing else, I'm sure it will help get the funds there faster.

Thanks for doing this, Scot.

best,
    Jack.
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    Hi Scot, I sent some money to the account. Thanks for your support to Patrick's family, you're a good man.
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    Many thanks to everyone - the quick response and generosity of people has been beyond amazing. Regarding donations by check, etc - I simply can't manage that. But when the donate page is finished later today or tomorrow, it will be a simple matter to use a credit card. Paypal does everything it can to make things like this as easy as possible.

I am going to attach a page to the Musette Guitars webpage with a "Donate" button which will make the process easier than it is right now. When this page is completed, I'll post the exact address here. It is possible that this will be posted a few other places, too. There is interest in this from several other people.

I apologize if this seems disorganized - I have no experience and it has taken off pretty fast.

Thanks again to everyone.

Best
    Scot
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Scot, thanks for doing this and I do understand about having people send cheques. I've done that before and it is a pain. And Jack, I know you meant well, but I had to ask. For my own reasons, I am unwilling to open a Paypal account. I will find a way to get my contribution directly to Patrick's family.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for doing this Scot.

I've paypal'd a donation.

My strongest memory of Patrick was at Montmagny in 2001.

After the Sunday brunch we were saying goodbye outside the hockey arena where they have breakfast. Patrick and his wife were saying their goodbyes and Patrick gave me kisses in that peculiar French style. Not THAT French style, the kind where they kiss both cheeks (face cheeks). I remember being honored by this gesture but also thinking "Patrick, get a shave!"

I still hope that you have a speedy recovery Patrick.

Wayne Nakamura
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we should "sticky" this so people can see it?

cheers

Wayne Nakamura