DjangoBooks.com

Jazz Manouche In the Style of Wawau Adler DVD

Comments

• wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    Ben:

I know what you mean about the speed variations on the WA dvd. I'm sure you understand that past a certain slow speed the artists find it really hard to repeat the melody. It starts to fall apart because of the lack of speed.

cheers

I sense that you've got GGAS (Gypsy Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) again?!?!

Wayne
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Very true, Wayne. It can sometimes be harder to play something slowly than fast. I thought it was really funny that Wawau's idea of "slow" was sometimes our idea of "normal," meaning in our case we can't go any faster than that without falling apart.

And oh my, yes, GGAS seems to have struck again! Have you been talking to Denis? :roll:
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Ben:

I'm in regular contact with DC. Are you going to buy his new AJL?

:twisted:
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Not exactly - I bought the one he had on loan from AJ while his new one was being built! If all goes well, it should arrive here on Tuesday.

A chance mealtime conversation with Michel from Montreal at Django in June led me to fire off an e-mail to AJ asking about it, only to discover that Denis still had it in his possession and was about to return it at Samois. The rest, as they say, is history. It was meant to be, obviously.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Oh now I understand. I wondered what happened to that one.

I played it in March. Very nice guitar in a room full of nice guitar's,

We had Denis' Dhole AJL (which you bought)
    Stochelo's Eimers antique
    David Dunlap's Oval hole AJL
    Bob Holo's F hole

Your soon to be, AJL more than held it's own and it was brand new at the time.

I think you'll be very happy.

Wayne
    I think I will be. Denis said it has opened up just in the time he has had it. AJ seems to be a really great guy, too.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • smilinjacksmilinjack The Wilds of Borneo & The Vineyards of BordeauxNew
    This is one of the few instructional DVDs that doesn't contain any written transcriptions.
    The first portion with the songs played ant medium and fast speed is there for what?
    If Adlers performances and technique were to be displayed it would have been more entertaining with genuine concert footage.
    Yeah, It's great stuff but Tab should have been included.
    The reason I concluded, Despite the claim by the producer that it is not needed, is really that they were to cheap to include it.

Jack
    "You Can Walk Around this Town Without Brains. . . But You Can't Walk Around Without Money!"
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    smilinjack wrote:
    This is one of the few instructional DVDs that doesn't contain any written transcriptions.
    The first portion with the songs played ant medium and fast speed is there for what?
    If Adlers performances and technique were to be displayed it would have been more entertaining with genuine concert footage.
    Yeah, It's great stuff but Tab should have been included.
    The reason I concluded, Despite the claim by the producer that it is not needed, is really that they were to cheap to include it.

Jack
    I disagree.

The way I see it this DVD is intended for advanced students, with ears sufficiently developed or at least the willingness to get them up to par to get the HUGE benefits this video provides. You have to work for it. Earn it.

TAB?? You do have a pair of ears don't you??

If your ears are not that good yet, that's what the image on your screen is for, so your eyes can help your ears get better.
    By the way you can slow it down if you're not used to figuring music out, you'll get better with practice.

This is better for learning than "genuine concert footage", it is intended for guitarists, you get a unique chance to see him by himself, all meat, with close ups of his hands and it's all there, the picture doesn't pan away from his hands just on that difficult part you really needed to see.

This DVD is for developing useful learning-on-the-spot skills.
    Can you imagine stopping someone like Stochelo in the middle of a solo and asking him to write down what he just did?
    Well, if you work hard with this DVD, train your ears and stop relying on TAB done by someone else you might not need to.

If you want everything spoon fed to you, look elsewhere, but don't expect to grow nearly as much.

This DVD is great, in my opinion, one of the greatest instructional materials for musicians ever. But if you want the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow you have to earn it.

Lastly Denis and the folks at hyperhipmedia are anything but cheap, they are providing us with top class material for a relatively low price. Granted it's a business but there's no doubt in my mind that it's done with love and by musicians so you and I have access to things that players could only dream about in the past.

BTW Klaatu, congrats on the new AJL!
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    it's not like they mislead anybody. the dvd was exactly what it was advertised as. this is how it's described
    Although there is no tablature of Wawau’s playing, viewers will find much can be learned by simply watching and repeating Wawau’s phrases.

a lot of us would rather have a dvd like this. the dvds that have tab have way less content than the dvds denis produces.

you might want to check out john jorgenson's dvds they might be more what you're looking for.
  • smilinjacksmilinjack The Wilds of Borneo & The Vineyards of BordeauxNew
    Dear Harry,
    You Wrote:

"Can you imagine stopping someone like Stochelo in the middle of a solo and asking him to write down what he just did?"
    Yeah, I do; If I'm paying for his product!
    Last time I looked I had ears, and still a
    Capitali$t.
    As to Jorgenson's Stuff, It's clear and precise albeit not as long as the others.

Best Regards,
    Jack
    "You Can Walk Around this Town Without Brains. . . But You Can't Walk Around Without Money!"