DjangoBooks.com

Django in June: June 9th-14th

2»

Comments

• HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    I'll be there for the weekend. Hope to see and jam with all of you in real life.
    HCQ
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I'll be there early on Tuesday to help people check in and get settled, then should be around most days/nights when I don't have gigs; be sure to say hi if we cross paths!

best,
    Jack.
  • marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    Will be there again this year. Will arrive Thurs. afternoon.

Mike
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    Great event!!!

I have been a routine participant in the West Coast Djangofests for several years and was apprehensive about going cross country for yet another Django jamfest. However I was more than pleasantly surprised at the superb job that Andrew and his staff did in putting together this excellent program! The caliber of the teachers was top notch – and there was enough for players at all levels to maintain interest. The jam sessions were terrific and I was very impressed with the skill level of the participants. Many had their own Django bands and were quite advanced (unlike other jams where there are mostly beginner to intermediate players) and, as a result, I ended up learning almost as much from playing with others as I did taking the workshops. The concerts were also excellent and, at $20 a ticket, one of the best values on the planet. Even guys that had gone to Samois said this was as good a jamming and learning venue as it gets. I highly recommend this program to other Django buffs and am already making plans to attend again next year.
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    I had a great time. It was good to see all you guys and meet new GJ fans. Rack up another coup by Andrew.

I got probably my favorite instruction from Reinier Voet, whose performance for me was sublime. Late Saturday night he, Gert, and Jan gathered around us in the stairwell as we played bluegrass songs with Tim K on fiddle and a gal named Betsy Rome playing great guitar...what a rush. Here I thought I'd forsaken bluegrass many moons ago.

Gert on accordion was a joy to watch and listen to all week. Great to have alongside us in workshops.

Gonzalo's concert stands out for the rich melodic quality of his beautifully articulated and emotional songs. He has really developed into a magnificent performer. Oh yeah, and Rob Hart, holy sh*t what a reedsman. The most perfect intonation, plus range and phrasing by a jazz reed player I've ever heard in person. Loved the surfer dude on bass, what was his name. Both cool California cats.

Kruno soldiered through his concert valiantly despite his band's absence, with brilliant support from the backup crew... those guys were supa-tight given the pressure and scant rehearsal time! Kruno is IMO one of the best interpreters of Django's legacy anywhere. Good call bringing him again, Andrew.

In Dennis Chang's band I was blown away by Aurelien's fiddling on a piece that sounded like a Roumanian folk dance...anybody know its name or provenance? I enjoyed Dennis's arrangements with their complexity, dynamic and furious pace. Oh and great irony, with those outrageous quotations. Typical of Dennis's rapier wit.

Rom's workshop on rhythm was really helpful to me. Jamming with him later in outdoor sessions gave an opportunity to try out what I'd just learned.

One guy I especially dug was Jan Brower for his humor and good nature...I love that guy! I got some great rhythm chord patterns from his workshop.

Props to my pal and fellow band member Jack Soref, because while I didn't attend his workshops, I heard good things about them and they square with my experience of him. He's a caring, knowledgeable teacher with a comprehensive command of the subject, no lie, plus great chops.

One thing that might be exciting to include in the future could be an emphasis on the violin music of Stepane Grappelli. Just an idea. But I got everything I came for. Thanks again, Andrew.

-Rob
  • HalifaxHalifax Halifax, Nova ScotiaNew
    Mr.Bauer
    Check your messages
    8)
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I just did...nothing. Or did you mean e-mail?
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • HalifaxHalifax Halifax, Nova ScotiaNew
    Hmmm
    Let me try this again
    I don't have your email

Daniel