DjangoBooks.com

Who to listen to for Rhythm?

periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
edited September 2010 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 140
This is more or less a response to something Michael mentioned in a recent post about listening to someone's rhythm and emulating that. My question is: who do you all like for rhythm? I have listened to quite a bit of Angelo and Bireli, but I don't know if they always use the same people for rhythm. If so, I don't know their names. In fact, the only rhythm guitarist I know by name is Nous'che. Who do you guys like and what would you say about the various differences in their styles?

Thanks!

Comments

• steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    hono winterstein has been backing up bireli for years, he's great, he has a tight sound. solid as a rock accompaniment.

ive been practising rhythm playing along with the gypsy project albums it's a lot of fun.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited May 2009 Posts: 6,151
    Some of the best rhythm playing is actually done by lead players. Django of course....especially check out his duets with Grappelli and others, you can really here how good he was. I transcribed his exact parts on Out of Nowhere and I've found a New Baby in the Gypsy Rhythm book. There's a lifetime of study in just those two...

Also, Stochelo and Jimmy are amazing. Again, check out the duets like Jimmy's Rose Room CD and the one with Ola Kvernberg. He's swinging like crazy on rhythm.

As mentioned above Hono is great....I also really like Yayo and Fanto Reinhardt on Romane's Acoustic Quartet CD. That's a killer rhythm sound!

'm
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I like Tchavolo's rhythm work a lot
  • Captain SwingCaptain Swing U.K.New
    Depends what kind of rhythm you like.
    I really like Philippe "Doudou" Cuillerier myself.
    Also, the hard, fast, clipped approah associated with Bireli's rhythm guitarists (and indeed Bireli himself) from Hono Winterstein right back to Gaiti Lagrene & Tschirglo Loeffler, can really get a band going! 8)
    But personally i think Nou'che Rosenberg is pretty hard to beat. He's immaculate at Swing, Bossa, Waltz, everything!
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    I've been listening lately to Angelo Debarre's and Moreno's collaboration record called "Romano Baschepen" (http://www.djangostation.com/Romano-Baschepen,030.html) and it's swinging like hell. Nono Reinhardt is playing rhythm on that record but also Romane and Angelo Debarre is backing each others when other is playing solo.

Other record that caught my attention lately is Tchavolo Schmitt's newest (?) record called "Seven Gypsy Nights" (http://www.djangostation.com/Seven-Gyps ... s,779.html). Mayo Hubert is playing rhythm guitar on that record and sounds very good!
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Hono!!!! from bireli's band, M. Chatelan from Zaiti, David Gastine from selmer 607 . . . . Fanto and Yayo from the Romane recordings (live and not). All amazing- but lets not forget J. Reinhardt!
    Ben
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    We recently saw Kevin Nolan with Jorgenson and he was solid as a rock. Learned some new voicings, too!

Our own Doug Martin has a phenomenal swinging rhythm. My girlfriend wants to take some lessons from him. Doug certainly seems to be good enough for Andreas, Lulo Reinhart, Gonazalo, et al. :)
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    I can't believe no one mentioned Hervé Gaguenetti yet! One of the great gypsy rhythm guitarists for sure:

http://www.myspace.com/hervegaguenetti

Hearing Hervé play rhythm live in Montreal completely changed my approach to rhythm playing. The man sounds great.

"Practice playing rhythm as softly as you can while keeping the swing!"

is the piece of wisdom he shared...
  • djefsdjefs MontréalNew
    One answer;

Django himself.
    Just one little sound is like 1000 images !
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    One nice vid that's on YouTube features Tchavolo and Mandino working out on Mira Pral. The rhythms used always brings smiles to me. I just love Mandino's chromatic chord runs.

Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TgBwVlmnB4
    :wink: