DjangoBooks.com

Pick grip?

Swing 69Swing 69 ScotlandNew
edited April 2009 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 81
Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has tried moving the pick around to the rounded edge for rhythm, then switching back to the normal position for lead playing. I noticed it mentioned in the book and have adopted this kind of style over last couple of weeks just to see if I could use it.
I've been using a wegen, when I roll it round the pointed edge of the pick faces the tailpiece. I think I quite like it and am now considering filing a slight bevel on that part of the pick. I think the pick doesn't actually move about as much when playing say a fairly quick bossa nova, than the more conventional way.
After saying this however I've actually been using an older much more worn wegen recently anyway for lead after switching back from a newer wegen with more of a point and even found that to be slightly better.
I can't say I've noticed any pro's doing this in any videos. I was wondering if any one else has tried this.

Cheers.

Comments

If I only play rhythm in a jam I often use the Wegen Button pick or a very worn pick.
    But if I play rhythm and lead I use my regular pick (Wegen GJ 3.5mm) for the rhythm I use a bit of the flesh of my index to get a good fat sound (It is a recommendation from Dennis).
    I think that if you already use a thick pick you do not need to do anything to go from rhythm to lead or vice versa.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    i tried flipping the pick around once, because i heard someone mention it, but i got bored of that after about 3 seconds and never tried it again.
  • SamuelSamuel New
    I tend to play on the rounded edge of the pick while playing rhythm (though I point the pick towards the neck, not towards the tailpiece). I just find it a lot easier and sounds better to use a more rounded edge versus the pointed end of the pick. and it's not difficult to just rotate it in my fingers to do some picking. I think Denis also mentions using the rounded edges of his picks for rhythm in certain circumstances.

Probably somewhat depends on what kind of sound you want
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Many of the Gypsies will switch to the front edge of the pick for rhythm and then use the point for lead. It's different then totally rotating the pick to the rounded edge....I put a photo on p.29. Basically you get the pick so that it's almost perpendicular to the strings. Very little resistance and a nice wooshy sound.

'm
  • SamuelSamuel New
    Thinking about it a little more, I do something more like what Michael just said. It does slide across the strings a lot easier, but isn't quite as bright sounding, I think. If you use the actual rounded edge, i think it adds some bite to the sound