DjangoBooks.com

HELP edges of frets sticking out

BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
Hi,
The edges of the frets on my guitar are sticking out a bit and have already cracked the lacquer around them, soon they will be cutting into my fingers.

I don't trust the local repairmen with my Dupont.

Is there a way to file them down myself without damaging the wood of the fretboard??
I was thinking of using a file and masking tape to cover as much of the surrounding wood as possible.

I'd really appreciate any advice.
Bob Holo? Josh Hegg?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Could it just be a humidity issue?
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    Sounds like it to me too, is there any buzzing as well??
    What's you weather like there this time of year?? A humidifier can do WONDERS for your guitar!!
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    Sounds like it to me too, is there any buzzing as well??
    What's you weather like there this time of year?? A humidifier can do WONDERS for your guitar!!
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Yes I think is a humidity/temperature issue, as I understand it the fretboard's wood has shrunk and the frets made of metal have not, the fingerboard no longer fits the length of the frets.
    I've had this problem for a while now, but now it's getting worse I asked Geronimo Mateos' son last year about it and he said it was a matter of filing the edges of the frets down so they are again flush with the wood, he explained this was normal and a routine tune up for most guitars.

I would do this myself but I need some pointers of how to go about it so I don't ruin my guitar.
    The local repair guys that I know are pretty sloppy and have marred the finish on some of my other guitars, and I won't let them come near my Dupont.

So, what do I do?
    Wait for humidity to make the wood expand again??
    Attack the fretboard's side with a file??
    Carefully file each fret's edge?
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    ASAP use a Dampit (and a big one) to humidify the guitar. Right now you should be more worried with the top cracking than with frets. After the guitar has been properly humidified you may even find no refiling is needed (or, at least, a lesser one... Dampit makes miracles.)
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Well, so typically you'd want to file the fret ends very carefully with a smooth cut file like one of these: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_su ... Files.html and yes, you can use tape if you're not sure how well you can control the file. Once you get the hang of it, you'll probably want to skip the tape as it just gets in the way of seeing the object of your work. Use very good light... you'll want to stop immediately when you kiss the edge of the lacquer near the fret; hence the fine smoothcut file. Don't use sandpaper to do the job or you'll eat into the finish. After you're done filing - maybe a 2000 grit across a cork block to get the surface ready for buffing - but sandpaper isn't a good thing to use when leveling a hard surface that abuts a soft surface. Typically you'll want to buff the edges of the neck when you're done but if you don't have a buffing wheel that might not be an option so maybe you can get the neck buffed once you're done.

This is not uncommon - but it does mean that you're letting the humidity drop too low for the guitar, so humidifying it is a very good idea so you don't wind up with more serious issues that could damage the sound or structure of the instrument.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Incidentally, was Geronimo Mateos' son sober when he told you it was normal to have frets stickin' out of the neck? :)
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    It certainly sounds like a humidity problem. Remember that a Dampit, or Oasis, humidifier is best at humidifying the body of the instrument first and foremost. There's very little room in most cases for the air to circulate. Keep this in mind, as you might want to consider how to boost the over all humidity through out the case while your guitar slowly absorbs the need humidity in the fretboard, neck bridge, etc.

Consider buying an inexpensive temperature humidity gauge to put in the case under the neck. RadioShack sell electronic versions for about $20.00 or so. You have to know what the humidity is to know if you've got it in the correct range.

Also consider making an emergency humidity box- a plastic case with holes drilled in it containing a sponge. Wring it out to remove excess water that could come in contact with your instrument or case. Make it damp, and not dripping wet.

Get the humidity to 37 to 42 per cent, if possible. It will take a week for the instrument to stabilize. Do it before more damage occurs to the rest of the instrument. Wait until it stabilizes before considering doing the other repairs.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Yes, this is very common. Especially for guitars that are transported from vastly different climates (i.e. France to Mexico!)
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Thanks to all.
    I'll put an humidifier in my guitar and wait a week before doing the filing.