DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

pcalia davegross GypsyBassGuitar Sultan_of_Swing

Beginner here, trying to find a cheap guitar

Hi everyone - I've been trying to learn this style of music on my classical guitar, but I'm starting to feel like I want to get a legitimate gypsy jazz guitar. I saw that the Saga Cigano's here https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ca ... igano.html are on sale.

Is there any real difference between the GJ-0 and GJ-10, and how do these compare to the Cordoba Gitanos? I guess I'm looking for probably one of the oval hole models, but I'm pretty clueless where to start.

Comments

• asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    It would probably be best to play it safe with the solid soundboard GJ-10.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The Cigano GJ-10 is sort of the "miracle" guitar....it's a lot better then you'd expect for the $. Definitely better then the Cordoba's (which are now out of production).

You could save a little with the GJ-0 because it has a laminate top. But I'd just pay the extra $30 and get the solid top, you won't regret it.

'm
  • harlemjoysharlemjoys Central Jersey✭✭✭
    Michael,

What do you mean by "solid" top? I thought the only difference was that the top was unlaminated as opposed to these new Ciganos that are coming (for some unknown reason) with laminated tops...
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    edited April 2009 Posts: 629
    Laminated here means plywood, not the plastic coating also referred to as lamination. The GJ0 is a plywood top, which doesn't resonate as well as a "solid" top, which is a single piece of wood, like on the GJ10. Hold out for the solid top for the extra $30

My gf has a Cigano GJ15 with a solid top, and it is an amazing instrument. Great sustain, punchy tone and LOUD! Well worth the $

Don't waste your time with the Cordoba. There is a reason these things are out of production.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • fraterfrater Prodigy