DjangoBooks.com

Dugain Pick Observations/Feedback

I am really intrigued with the ergonomics--limited slipping/rotating--of the Dugain pics, and Sarod pics for that matter, and would like to try them in some different varieties. The only problem is that there are so many materials out there, I do not know where to begin.

I was wondering if we could use this thread to list some general tonal observations and qualities of various Dugains gypsy jazzers or guitarists of other styles have experimented with. I think this would be good to give guitarists an impression of what each pick and material is all about.

I would like to order a few in the near future, so recommendations would be great.

Thanks,
Tim

Comments

• pmh425pmh425 Middle Island, NY✭✭✭✭
    here goes with my impressions:

I have a few of them and find I like the Coconut the best out of them all. The tone is wonderful but very clear. The Horn ones are a but sharper tone wise giving the impression of being a bit louder. The Derlin ones last longest but have a less complex tone and also feel a bit like soap. The Coconut and Horn ones get sharp on the end and need filing back in to shape once in a while.
    -Peter
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    I've tried the Horn & the Bone, & the Bone is brighter than the Horn, i just didn't like the cutaway for your finger business.... Like marketing a box to put your banana in?!? Everyone's finger curves slightly differently at optimum comfort, & neither material is as good as the Red Bear picks.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Here's my tuppence worth....I started out with the Dugain horn picks - I liked and still like the tone, the only thing is they wear away and need reprofiling every so often. I find the sound they produce is different on which guitar is being played ( a Dell Arte A DeBarre, Cigano or ...gasp...my Aria ). I tried a Dugain delrin-type pick and it just doesnt work at all for me, too thin a sound and, as someone else said, feels like soap.

Pinkgarys right about the box for the banana with the indentations but on Dugain picks it doesn't give me a problem, unlike another leading make whose deep grooves do.

I've spent a fortune on picks over the last year and a half since starting to play this stuff and I seem to use my Dugain Acetate pick the most as it seems to produce a nice thick but still relatively clean tone consistently on all my guitars. In fact I think I'll go order another one right now......

I've also had a go at amking my own bone picks and these work well. I modeled my bevelling on the Dugain Acetate model and that seems to work, the only problem is that the bone blanks I used were smaller than normal and not easy to grip. I've never bought a bone Dugain, I'll order one of those as well now that I think about it....

I'll try and record some sound clips of all the picks I have over the weekend and post them as soon as I can
    always learning
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Here's my tuppence worth....I started out with the Dugain horn picks - I liked and still like the tone, the only thing is they wear away and need reprofiling every so often. I find the sound they produce is different on which guitar is being played ( a Dell Arte A DeBarre, Cigano or ...gasp...my Aria ). I tried a Dugain delrin-type pick and it just doesnt work at all for me, too thin a sound and, as someone else said, feels like soap.

Pinkgarys right about the box for the banana with the indentations but on Dugain picks it doesn't give me a problem, unlike another leading make whose deep grooves do.

I've spent a fortune on picks over the last year and a half since starting to play this stuff and I seem to use my Dugain Acetate pick the most as it seems to produce a nice thick but still relatively clean tone consistently on all my guitars. In fact I think I'll go order another one right now......

I've also had a go at amking my own bone picks and these work well. I modeled my bevelling on the Dugain Acetate model and that seems to work, the only problem is that the bone blanks I used were smaller than normal and not easy to grip. I've never bought a bone Dugain, I'll order one of those as well now that I think about it....

I'll try and record some sound clips of all the picks I have over the weekend and post them as soon as I can
    always learning
    I ordered a Dugain coconut and a horn pick yesterday. I will see how I like them. Thanks for the replies.
    I ordered a Dugain coconut and a horn pick yesterday. I will see if I like them. Thanks for the replies.
  • simplygoodmusicsimplygoodmusic Rome, ItalyNew
    Well I know you ordered anyway, but here is my feedback all the same.

I got a dugain acetate a few months ago, and I LOVE it in every sense of the word. It seems to have a little more compressed feel than a Wegen, but it feels more malleable tonally speaking.