DjangoBooks.com

Samy Daussat DVD!!!

CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
edited September 2005 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 557
Any one seen this?
http://site.voila.fr/sami.daussat/astuces.htm

It was done by Samy so I think it should be good. I wonder if it is basically the same info that is in the Austuces book.
Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Comments

• DedwoodDedwood Springfield, ILNew
    I recently received the Methode de Guitare Manouche book/DVD/CD set by Denis Roux and Samy Daussat. First, the DVD is in the PAL format, a DVD-ROM or specialized DVD player are required to view it. Also the book and DVD are in french (no subtitles on DVD).
    The 60 page spiral-bound book is well done, but clearly aimed at beginners. The concepts and examples are similar to those in the Austuces de la Guitare Manouche book also by Denis Roux and Samy Daussat. Four songs are transcribed in simplified (ala Robin Nolan books) and intermediate versions: Les Yeux Noirs, Lulu Swing, David, and Cesar Swing. The only problem I have with the book is that the examples are not in sequential order with the DVD. For example, the Samy may play an example on page 25 followed by one on page 26, then the next example is found on page 23. This is clearly done for layout purposes, but is annoying none the less.
    The DVD features Samy lecturing/tutoring David Reinhardt. The chapters are interspersed with performances which can be found in the bonus features. Overall, the instructional portion has nothing new, but would make a good introduction to the style for beginners.
    The bonus features are the most enjoyable section of this DVD. The first extra is a visit to Francois Charle's shop in Paris. Francois is the author of The Story of Selmer-Maccaferri Guitars. In this section Francois shows Samy several different instruments (such as Selmers, a Favino, and DuPont) and describes the differences between them. Samy then plays the guitars demonstrating these differences. Unfortunately, the DVD is in french so I can't elaborate further as to what is being said.
    The second bonus feature is a 15 minute interview with Francois Charle. Here he appears to discuss the history of the Selmer-Maccaferri guitar, Django's playing, and gypsy jazz in general. The next bonus feature is basically an interview with Samy Daussat and David Reinhardt. Finally, the last extra is a private concert with Samy and David playing several short standards. The tunes played here are all featured in the instuctional section, but do not contain voice-overs. Featured are the songs Swing 42, Cesar Swing, Douce Ambiance, Manoir de mes Reves, Bossa Dorado, Lulu Swing, David, Blues, and Les Yeux Noirs. These performances are all short (under 2 minutes). Samy plays the melody on all of the songs except for Douce Ambiance and Manoir de mes Reves which feature David.
    This package is well put together. Overall, I would recommend it only for beginners. However, if you speak and understand french, it is worthwhile for the bonus features. Especially for the visit and interview with Francois Charle. I hope this helps.