DjangoBooks.com

Home recording...

SalieriSalieri Europe, Romania✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in Recording Posts: 97
Hello guys, i'm planning to buy a recording gear soon, but i don't have more money to spend. What gear is good for beginning ? Can anybody recommend me something cheaper and pretty ?

Stefan.
140annl.png
Visit my YouTube profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/Xiphosss
Vive Django!

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Stephan:

I've been very happy with my Zoom H2. I play frequently at a friends house who has a very sophisticated 16 track recording studio in the room we play in yet he uses an H2 also to record our jams.

I've also used mics into my computer. I used Cakewalk software at first, but found Audacity (free download, open source) and DAK recorder (~ $25) work fine and are much simpler. The only time I use the computer though is to lay down a rhythm track for practicing but that is rare as I have a number of tracks already and use Band in a Box for most all the others.

The H2 is the ticket for recording jams and performances. The H4 offers four track recording, but I've never felt I needed that. The H2 is smaller and less expensive. Some eBay sellers offer larger memory cards free, a larger card is nice. Last time I checked the H2 with 4GB card was about $200.

I started using rechargeable batteries. The H2 uses 2 AA batteries. Regular batteries are about shot after a 3 hour session which was getting expensive.

If you search this forum for Zoom or H2 or H4 or similar, you'll find several threads.

If you are looking for something more sophisticated than the above, maybe someone else can help as I have no serious recording experience.

Craig
  • SalieriSalieri Europe, Romania✭✭✭
    Thanks Craig for this reply ! I have a question: What is more good ? A Zoom H4, or a simple microphone and a preamp ?

I've saw that records with Zoom H4, really amazing ! But I waiting for a response.

Thanks,
    Stefan.
    140annl.png
    Vive Django!
    Not sure I understand your question. H4 is a 4 track recorder with mics built in. A mic with a preamp is not a recorder. Are you thinking of running the mic into a computer?

Again, for me, the Zoom H2 was the best choice. Small, simple, portable, sound quality is more than adequate. But there is, of course, a huge world of recording options out there. Much more than I know about.

Craig
    Sorry for that mistake...I don't know english perfect...I stay with Zoom H4, i buy it soon. Thanks for your informations again and sorry for my bad english !

Stefan.
    140annl.png
    Vive Django!
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    You might also check out the new Tascam DR-07. I just got one and so far I like it a lot.

It's only $200 but you can get it for $170 with free shipping (to USA) from Music123 if you follow this link and use the promotion.

(To get the 15% off you have to get your purchase over $200 but the recorder is $199.99 so you have to also buy a pick or a set of strings or something.)

It even comes with a 2GB SD card, a foam windscreen and has a tripod mount.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    i think the M-Audio 2-channel unit with pre-amps would be the way to go personally. http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro.html . Also, 2 battery powered condenser mics would go well with it.

The Zoom is attractive though because you probably dont need to buy mics but it limits you on mic placement, doesn't it?
    djangology wrote:
    The Zoom is attractive though because you probably dont need to buy mics but it limits you on mic placement, doesn't it?

The H2 has an external stereo mic input port (mini-plug). I'm pretty sure the H4 has one too.

Craig
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator

The H2 has an external stereo mic input port (mini-plug). I'm pretty sure the H4 has one too.

Craig

Interesting but without a onboard pre-amp, that complicates things and so i doubt an external mic would sound as good as the onboard ones...
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I have the H4 it has two XLR mic inputs which cancel the onboard ones but I haven't tried it with an external mic yet, the onboard mics seem to make any recording sound good enough.
    If you really mess with it I bet you could approximate pro results but the real fun with this little gadget is that you can record anywhere and keep a "diary" of your band, record jams, concerts for example.
    Instead of mic placement you can adjust the way the musicians are positioned, just like they did in the early days.
    Guys, I have 5+1 speaker set. If I buy the M-Audio FastTrack Pro, I can connect the speaker set on it ? It accept 5+1 ? Anybody knows ? I'm beginner in this domain and i don't know much...

Waiting for a reply.

Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

Stefan.
    140annl.png
    Vive Django!