DjangoBooks.com

Best favino style guitar

Hi

Just wondering wich of the new guitars in the style of favino that you think is best.

Johan
Band up and running! Finaly!

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Johan,

I think most will agree the US made Dell Arte Hommage is the most successful copy of a Favino. See:

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    The only alternative who comes to mind is Alain Mazaud... but his guitars are more expensive than Dell'Arte's and I'm not sure worth the extra bucks if you're just after the plain Favino sound.
  • JohanJohan Oslo, NorwayNew
    Have any of you played the Andreas Öberg Gypsy Fire guitar by luthier
    Ari-Jukka Luomaranta? I think that is a favino type guitar.

Johan Tobias
    Band up and running! Finaly!
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I played a DuPont Favino copy once and didn't like it at all. It didn't feel like a Favino at all. I've only played about 5-6 Favinos but I'd say the American made Dell Arte Hommage is the only good copy ever made by anyone.

Note: I'll sell my nice 1996 Cedar Top 14-fret D-hole Hommage to the first buyer for $2000 +$50 shipping and shipped in a nice safe box. I'm wanting to get something different like a Dupont MD50 or something. Andreas played it in a few Portland shows. Its on Youtube. The guitar is stock, not setup, completely unaltered, and plays perfect.
  • chappiechappie ✭✭✭✭
    Rodrigo Shopis makes a fantastic Favino style guitar... though all solid wood.
    It is a remarkable concert quality instrument. He calls it the D'Artagnan model. Both Samson and Dorado play Rodrigo's guitars.
    http://www.rodrigoshopis.com
    charlie
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    I've also seen some spectacular Favino copies made by Killy Nonis...
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    frater wrote:
    I've also seen some spectacular Favino copies made by Killy Nonis...

they look nice alright, and the price is reasonable enough at € 2,950. has anyone heard one of these?

NonisFavOld08.jpg
  • chappiechappie ✭✭✭✭
    I played a DuPont Favino copy once and didn't like it at all.

I owned Moreno's Dupont Favino (from his Bolero Album), now in Teddy G's loving hands again and can say without question it is one of of the best sounding guitars I've ever played. My Rodrigo Shopis is on par. I love my mdc-50 with a passion and would say it sounds as good as any Reserve I've ever played. I love Favinos, all that said, and would love to own one someday, however, the older ones are wildly inconsistant, some brilliant and some just dead. The newer Jean Pierre's are an acquired taste. They are beautiful and you can expect a long wait.
    charlie
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Speaking of Favino styled guitars, the ALD Rebelle should be a good one. Boulou plays one of these and when it comes to Favino guitars, Boulou is the man.
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    "Best" is subjective. Personally I'm smitten with Shelley Park's Montmartre, which is her take on the Favino style. She breaks a little from tradition by using solid woods as opposed to laminates, so they have their own sound which I think is gorgeous... nice full tone, very present. You can play it softly and the note still sound round and full or you can really dig into them for volume and they don't lose their characteristic sweetness. They also give good bottom end.

After playing two of them I ordered one for myself and couldn't be happier.